Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Exposed windings on stator

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Exposed windings on stator

Post by ZillahBill » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:20 pm

I have cleaned up the stator and checked it for resistance, which it has, so I think it is worth a try. Problem is that two of the windings have been nicked or something and a chunk of the covering is missing on two of the sections. Is there something I could use to cover these two exposed sections to keep them viable? None of the wires themselves seem to be nicked so I am hoping I can repair in some way. I have attached a pic to show their condition. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Attachments
Stator1.jpg

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Exposed windings on stator

Post by Tim Allman » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:05 am

Fortunately you appear not to have an electrical problem. The tape that covers the coils is just for physical protection so you don't actually have to do anything.

These tend to get dirty and oily because they are close to the breather outlet, the chain and perhaps a leaky oil seal. I have never been able to get anything to stick to an oily stator but some more effort at degreasing would possibly pay off. If you try this, be careful of what solvent you use. Paint thinner (i.e. mineral spirits) would be a good choice. Beware of acetone and lacquer thinner. They are not good grease solvents and might damage the varnish on the bare coils. (It's the varnish which insulates the coils.)

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:00 am

Likewise, have run CL77 with some of the taped covering on coils missing. The taping gets brittle and can flake off. No effect on charging performance as of yet. Spray-can electronic contact cleaner works well to clean up the oil/dirt whenever the engine side cover is off; cuts the grease with no harm to paint, plastic, varnish.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:05 am

Yes, I should have thought of contact cleaner. Effective and safe for the stator.

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:45 am

...would liquid tape be appropriate in this application? I think it would bond after a good clean.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:00 am

Michael Stoic wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:45 am
...would liquid tape be appropriate in this application? I think it would bond after a good clean.
Excellent suggestion.

Will try liquid tape next time the RH crankcase cover is removed. Clean first, then apply.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home