Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

dimmer switch honda dream 250 ca72

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
johnjoseph1
honda305.com Member

dimmer switch honda dream 250 ca72

Post by johnjoseph1 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Can anyone tell me what the dimmer switch should have on it to make contact to the bakelite terminal that sets in dimmer switch housing. I have a black plasttic switch that goes through the slot but it seems to be missing something that makes contact with the green , blue or red wires that are soldered on a bakelite board.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

dimmer pieces

Post by jleewebb » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:28 pm

assuming the switch is similar to a cb, sounds like you're missing some pieces...there's a brass kind of u-shaped piece that makes the contacts. an insulator piece that fits up inside that, and a spring and a ball bearing that goes through the plastic piece to apply tension to the assembly...some fun to put together. attached pix are the best I have to help explain, once you've got all the pieces it's (sort of) obvious how they go together. Careful not to force anything, that terminal board is fragile; I had to epoxy mine back together as you can see in first pic. (Hint: click on pic to enlarge.)

Hope this helps. --Lee
Attachments
dimmer pieces.JPG
dimmer insulator.JPG
dimmer assembly.jpg
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

johnjoseph1
honda305.com Member

Post by johnjoseph1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Thank You very much Lee.. It all makes sense now.
Ball bearing was on the floor!!!
John J

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

happy to help

Post by jleewebb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Happy to help. How about some pix? Some fanatics like me read these posts mainly for entertainment, occasionally for enlightenment, and sometimes to chime in with useful info when they can. Feedback is appreciated.

One more hint: if you'll add your location to your profile you'll get more responses and maybe even find other 305 enthusiasts in your area.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:39 am

johnjoseph1 wrote:Thank You very much Lee.. It all makes sense now.
Ball bearing was on the floor!!!
John J
I need that ball bearing! Can anyone help me? Or I need a new switch.

Those things are a bitch to get back together unless you have the entire switch and harness out of the bike.

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:26 am

Yes,

Those things are really hard to get back together unless you have the entire switch and harness out of the bike.

Wilf

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:58 am

Wilf wrote:Yes,

Those things are really hard to get back together unless you have the entire switch and harness out of the bike.

Wilf
Well, the good news is that I found the damn ball bearing. Problem is the little spring that gives it tension has seen better days. Pretty unwound, almost like someone tried to stretch it to make it work better.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home