Admirers

Ignition / wiring question

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
big-b
honda305.com Member

Ignition / wiring question

Post by big-b » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:39 pm

1967 305 Superhawk.

I'm trying to track down some wiring issues with my bike, i have no power going to the head light/ horn. I think I have it narrowed down to the ignition switch.

With the key in the center position, I have 12 volts at the back of the switch on the battery terminal, ignition terminal, and the charging terminal, but NOT the headlight or tail light terminal. Is this correct?

WIth the key in the far right position, I have 12 volts to the battery terminal, charging terminal, and tail light terminal, but NOT the ignition terminal or the headlight terminal. Is this correct, this has me thinking something is wrong with the switch so voltage is not making it to the headlight terminal.

More Info:

The head and tailight both have a good ground.

When in the center position my starter works, but none of my lights or horn work.

When in the far right position my tail light works but my starter, head light and horn don't.

Question?

Could i swap the head and tail light wires on the back of the ignition switch to confirm all of my head light and horn works.

Thank You for the help,

Brian

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

switch exercise

Post by jleewebb » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 am

I had a similar problem with my bike when I put it back together after its long siesta. Try "exercising" the ignition switch by turning it back and forth from forward (left) to middle position to hopefully scrape some corrosion off the terminals. (Worked for me.) Rear/right position seems to be working, it's the "parking at night" position, you can remove key, battery will run down pretty quick. Some folks have successfully disassembled and cleaned these switches. Good luck, Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

big-b
honda305.com Member

Post by big-b » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

So the far right position I'm actually just getting the parking light and not the "tail light" that makes sense since in the center key position I don't have power to the head light or tail light terminals.

Is these any way to pull the ignition apart to clean the terminals? That woul probably solve all my problems.

Brian

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

Right (park) position should only have power to the rear lamp, park lamp in the headlight shell if so equipped.

According to my notes, in teh center (ON) position, IG connects to BA and HL connects to TL

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Do you have the headlight switch on the outside of the headlight bucket turned to the on position? Do you know it your horn works when direct power it applied? Sounds like your ign switch is testing out properly.

big-b
honda305.com Member

Post by big-b » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:11 am

If my ignition switch was working properly, wouldn't I have 12 volts at the head and tail light terminals on the a back of the switch when the key is in the center position?

Brian

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:47 pm

I was thinking the same terminal supplied power to everything, was not aware that there was a separate headlight/taillight terminal. If so you are right, seems like your switch is not working properly in the center position, all the way over seems right.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home