Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Trying To Determine "Year" of my CB-77

Looking for Bikes, Parts, Etc.? Post it here or try the New Honda305.com Auctions !!!
305smitten
honda305.com Member

Trying To Determine "Year" of my CB-77

Post by 305smitten » Tue May 10, 2005 8:39 pm

I am trying to determine approximate year my CB-77 was manufactured in. I am in process of returning to running order.<br /><br />I've been told verbally this bike is a 1965 or a 1966 (no paperwork with bike to verify &quot;titling/sale&quot; date).<br /><br />Here's what I have - <br /><br /> Engine #CB77E-1043218 (this would possibly fall within a 1965-1967 manufacture date) can anyone narrow the manufacture date down further? It's a Type-1 engine with 180 degree crank.<br /><br /> The speedometer/tach cluster on this bike has the following characteristics - (a) there is NOT a high beam indicator, (b) tach/speedo needles sweep in opposite directions - tach clockwise/speedo counter clockwise, (c) there is NOT an &quot;HM&quot; logo on instrument face, (d) there IS a Nippon-Seiki logo at bottom center of instrument face. <br />(This instrument cluster most closely resembles the Type 1b cluster of 1962 shown elsewhere on this website but without the &quot;HM&quot; logo).<br /><br />Any help in narrowing down manufacture date is appreciated. Any tips on what to look for to help narrow it down is also appreciated. When I saw the info on instrument cluster dates on this site I thought it would help but it only further confused me when my cluster was different than any of the six examples shown. <br /><br />Thanks for any help- Bill

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Trying To Determine "Year" of my CB-77

Post by kustommusic » Tue May 10, 2005 10:19 pm

305, By the number it sounds like what your guess is. Have you tried removing the tank and looking at the wiring tag on the main harness? That can be helpfull,but not alwayse accurate. Your speedo is an old style for sure( 61-64) I think. Wonder if it has been changed? There is a place on this site called carbon dating your honda (or somthing like that) That will tell you all the info you need to know. Good Luck, Steve Greer

305smitten
honda305.com Member

Re: Trying To Determine "Year" of my CB-77

Post by 305smitten » Wed May 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Thanks for the wiring harness clue. I'll try checking that as tank needs to come off for cleaning soon anyway. I acquired this bike last year so its the better part of 40+ years old. Everything looks pretty much stock, you can usually tell if anything major has been changed since leaving factory (but just like some 40 year old woman some things that look stock may have been modified after leaving the factory, or so I'm told). The speedo unit looks as if it was factory installed, if its been changed in later life then whoever did it didn't bobge anything. Although speed unit appears pre-'65 the engine number is definitely well into 1966 I'd guess.<br /><br />Any other help in dating this bike is appreciated.<br /><br />Anybody know where I can find the little black &quot;mud flap&quot; (used, NOS or repro) that goes on the back fender under the tail light assembly???

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home