Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
I had time this weekend to do a bit more on the little Honda. The wheels were next, as the rims were beyond saving I cut the spokes using my angle grinder and then spun the hubs up on the lathe. This removed most of the corrosion but the brake plates will need some more aggressive work to remove the deep pitting before final polishing. Shame the supplier sent the wrong rims or else I could have built the wheels up.
Wheels laced up, spokes need the ends trimmed slightly with a grinder to save giving the inner tube a hard time. Frame is away being shot blasted, I like to do everything on a rebuild but I haven’t the room for shot blasting. There is a fair amount of rot on the frame so I expect a lot of fabricating and welding before I can start the prep for the re-spray.
Most of the ancillaries and engine are renovated and so I sent away the frame for blasting. I knew there was some rot on the frame and some on the front mudguard but, as you might guess, once blasted it was a lot worse. The major snag being the double skin, I can’t just cut the whole rotten area out as the back of the frame would fall off so I will need to find the spot welds, drill them out and remove the inner section. Make a template, then replicate the inner sections. I’ll probably tack a support in place, then cut out the rotten metal and then weld in that section before removing the support. Once I’ve done that I can then attach the inner sections, this may take a while!
Made a start on cutting out the rust and welding in some fresh metal on the front mudguard. All the problems stem from the double skinned areas getting water between the layers of metal. I was able cut the outer layer away leaving the thicker metal in place and then tack the repair metal in place. While I was at it I took the opportunity to weld up the number plate mounting holes before grinding off the surplus weld and a skim of filler.
Ok, so it’s onto the frame, I’ve been putting it off due to the amount of rot and it being double skinned. I worked out my plan of attack which was to just do one outer section at a time and once the four areas of concern were sorted I’d then fabricate the two inner sections before seam welding all the joints and then drill through both layers to replicate the original spot welds. As the inner sections won’t be seen I’ll not get too hung up about them being exact replicas.