honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
  □ CLASSIFIED_ADS
□ FAQ 
  □ SEARCH_ADS
□ 
  □ MY_ADS
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

C95 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...

Moderator: prima5star

User avatar
Muddy
honda305.com Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: C95 project

Post by Muddy » Mon May 03, 2021 2:07 pm

Nice work!
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:59 pm
Location: Epsom, Surrey

Re: C95 project

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat May 08, 2021 5:55 am

Even though I replaced the rot in four stages to limit distortion when I checked the mudguard it was slightly twisted. I made sure the frame was perfectly vertical then marked the centre of the frame before running a laser along it. At this stage, without the second skin in place, I could just pull the mudguard by hand until it was straight before I fit the inner sections.
Attachments
F27680D7-BFEC-4976-82BA-E893BE8EE633.jpeg
C4BE0B67-F4F7-495B-9C28-88D54600B0BD.jpeg

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:59 pm
Location: Epsom, Surrey

Re: C95 project

Post by Geoff Hastings » Thu May 13, 2021 10:48 am

The inner sections were fabricated and tacked in place, these I could do in one piece so will help with the strength.I decided against trying to put a rolled edge on the inner panels like the originals as that is what trapped the mud and started the corrosion in the first place. I’ll also spray some under seal under the mudguard to hopefully prevent any more rust in the future. I tried the cast aluminium sections on and they sit fine and there were no more problems with the mudguard alignment even once the seam welding was done. One of the fiddliest bits to do was the wedge shaped section right on the end of the mudguard, it has two ridges and curves in three directions so a rough approximation was tacked in place and with some gentle tapping as I went persuaded it to conform, a smear of filler helped.
Attachments
AF97503C-E5DF-4284-9EDB-70217053643C.jpeg
82D0D2F2-1F12-4F25-9802-2E42FB45E2EC.jpeg
0CB99199-963E-48FE-8EB2-9015814DF775.jpeg
A5165F5B-F4EA-4934-AF48-B314A3332CD2.jpeg

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:59 pm
Location: Epsom, Surrey

Re: C95 project

Post by Geoff Hastings » Thu May 13, 2021 5:50 pm

First coat of primer before the final rub down.
Attachments
B38B39EB-848B-461E-88FB-EFDB2239089E.jpeg
A1C1CC50-29A1-4E0E-BFC6-24989D8639A9.jpeg

Post Reply

 


 

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home