Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Even though I replaced the rot in four stages to limit distortion when I checked the mudguard it was slightly twisted. I made sure the frame was perfectly vertical then marked the centre of the frame before running a laser along it. At this stage, without the second skin in place, I could just pull the mudguard by hand until it was straight before I fit the inner sections.
The inner sections were fabricated and tacked in place, these I could do in one piece so will help with the strength.I decided against trying to put a rolled edge on the inner panels like the originals as that is what trapped the mud and started the corrosion in the first place. I’ll also spray some under seal under the mudguard to hopefully prevent any more rust in the future. I tried the cast aluminium sections on and they sit fine and there were no more problems with the mudguard alignment even once the seam welding was done. One of the fiddliest bits to do was the wedge shaped section right on the end of the mudguard, it has two ridges and curves in three directions so a rough approximation was tacked in place and with some gentle tapping as I went persuaded it to conform, a smear of filler helped.
Well, It’s been a while and there’s been absolutely no progress on my C95 as my son bought a CB550 four K and he has taken over the work bench. Most of his bike is in pretty good shape so it’s not needed any major work but, just as we were being impressed with the lack of bodges on the bike I noticed the rear brake actuator arm didn’t look quite right. When we removed it we discovered it was too big for the splined shaft and the previous owner had used plastic metal to make up the difference!
Now the warmer, drier days are finally here I hope to spray the top coat onto the little Honda. I was undecided on what colour to choose and was going to go for a rich yellow I’d seen on an Alfa Romeo but I finally decided on Ferrari red, I know it’s not original but it’s a lovely colour and it can always be repainted now I’ve cut the rot out.
Nice warm day so it was time to spray the little Honda. Usual specs of dust and a few flying insects imbedded themselves in the paint but a light rub down with some 1000 grit wet and dry in a weeks time should sort it out. Just need my son to finish his bike and vacate the bike bench.