Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
As I started to get all the bits together before reassembling the bike I found the tank badges needed replacing. I checked all the usual sites and couldn’t find a suitable replacement, in fact, I did find a pair of original badges with what the seller described as a couple of cracks. One badge was broken in half and he wanted $95 plus shipping. I decided my badges weren’t that bad after all so set about removing the black paint and what remained of the original silver. Most this just picked off with the fine pointed scalpel, I then painted all the black areas and while the paint was still tacky laid the badge on some cooking foil, this I gently pushed into wing detail and then trimmed off the surplus. They’re not perfect but the second came out a little better as I used a wooden cocktail stick point the apply paint to the very fine detail areas. These will do until I come across something better.
Just started the laborious process of flatting and compounding the paintwork now it’s had a week or so to harden off. Two pack would be quicker but I don’t have the facilities so it has to be the old fashioned way. I did find I’d missed a few coats just on one side of the swinging arm so had to respray that again. Not a big deal but that will now need a few days to harden off too. I’ve just hung a few bits on the frame to remind myself what it should look like and spur me on to build up the rear shocks. I’m pleased with my final choice of colour, it was nearly Yellow!