Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

First bike and first restore project. 64? CB77 Superhawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
nmackey
honda305.com Member

thanks for the info

Post by nmackey » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:05 pm

thanks for all the info advmax. This is going to be a daily driver for me when weather permits. If going stainless is better, than thats what ill do. Do you have info on the best place to get everything from? I know its gonna be a patience test with some of this for me. I guess ill be learning alot about nuts and bolts.lol. i will try the heat on the swingarm and see if that helps. Again, thanks for the info.

nmackey
honda305.com Member

frame number

Post by nmackey » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Frame number #1001779
engine CB77E #1005354

Any ideas?

advmaxx
honda305.com Member

Post by advmaxx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Well, stainless is only better in that it won't rust. It will look better (no corrosion) longer but will not be "accurate". I did this on my '64 "rider" because I wasn't over concerned with accuracy, although I did sand off the markings on the heads of the bolts. I got almost every fastener I needed from my local ACE Hardware. As I re-assembled the bike I would see what I needed as I went and would walk over a few times a day.

Some of the fasteners are chromed or specialized like the lower mounting bolts for the rear shocks, the sidestand pivot bolt, center stand bolts, etc. These I had rechromed or replated along with all my brackets, footpegs, etc in clear zinc. This is the closest plating we can get to the original cadmium plating, from what I'm told.

I will recommend to you not to get rid of your original nuts and bolts, or any other parts you replace. You may need them for another restoration some day. These Superhawks are known to MULTIPLY! :)

According to your frame #, it's a '65. The engine # isn't close enough to the frame# to be original to that frame, although it is most likely a '65 as well. The bike could have had an engine swap, or the engine could have had a case swap. Even from the factory these numbers rarely (if ever) matched, but were within 200 numbers of each other. Don't be too concerned about the numbers, many of these bikes were used heavily and it is common for the frame and engine numbers not to coincide.

The good thing is it looks like you have most of what you need. Your bike is more complete and in better shape than my first Superhawk resto, a '62 that looked like it had been pulled out of a lake (go to "Gallery" in the sidebar, click on "Restorations", click on "Tim Folger" for before/after photos).

Cheers!

nmackey
honda305.com Member

thanks for the info

Post by nmackey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:38 am

It helps alot knowing i can get most of my nuts and bolts at the hardware store. i have a bunch that just arent there so ill have to go through the clymers manual or start asking questions to get some of the right sizes. Your info is helping alot though. Its nice to know i have the forums to turn to during this project. It helps when ya get discouraged and find that someone else has gone through the same problem. As far as accumulating superhawks, that hasnt been so much the problem as accumulating vintage honda 305s,. I had an old beat up 4 wheeler that i hated riding and a guy down the road needed one for his grandkids. I asked him if he had something to trade and he rode this beatup old dream 305 down to my place. We traded even. Its beat up but next winter will be the dreams turn. It will need alot more work than my hawk. im going to be tryin to find years on that next. lol. I plan on sinking into that one with some knowledge from this project. thanks again.
Attachments
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

nmackey
honda305.com Member

hope i can get my hawk lookin like yours.

Post by nmackey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:52 am

that 62 hawk turned out to be a beauty. I dont have nearly as much work to do to mine. Gives me hope for the dream.

advmaxx
honda305.com Member

Post by advmaxx » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:55 am

Hey thanks, you are correct about the forum being a big help. Lots of guys who have been through it all and like to share the info. It would have been more difficult for me without this resource. In fact, Mike Stoic was the one who ID'd my '62 years ago, and contrary to the caption he wrote about my photos, he was the one who encouraged me to do a resto on it. Now I'm on my 3rd Superhawk restoration. It's a satisfying and learning experience, have fun with it and keep posting pics as your project progresses!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home