Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

darboots - 1961 CA77 from boxes

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm

What exhausts do you have?
darboots wrote:Thanks Seadog. That's kindof what I suspected.

I've also now found that I have been supplied with exhausts that don't fit either... :(

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:20 pm

It would seem that I have the David Silver headers (the one's that are hand formed and therefore require "some fettling"), and the mufflers from Thailand like these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-C77-CA77- ... HA&vxp=mtr
1961 Honda CA77 Dream Touring
1983 Yamaha RD350 LCII YPVS
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400FEF (ZX14R)

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Oh my, I've bought those mufflers and am waiting for them to arrive. I do have Honda headers though. Have you tried to fit them and they won't go?

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:44 am

Yeah. The RHS just about fits and is on, but the LHS header fouls the underside of the case. Then, the LHS muffler mounting is about 30mm too low, about 15mm too far back, and 10mm too far outwards as it fouls the footrest. That was after much 'adjustment' of the LHS header flange (which was oval and needed filing down).

Even if I made up a bracket (which is about the limit of my tooling and skills!), the muffler would not look correct from the rear of the bike as it would be far too low compared to the RHS.

I'll see if I can capture a photo later to show the issue.

Has anyone here tried the Overlander Systems?
Fitted - http://www.scramblercycle.com/blog/stai ... -and-pipes
Catalog - http://www.dropbears.com/o/overlander/exhausts.htm
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 am

The side that kind of fits.
Right side downpipe and muffler fitted:

It fouls the rear brake pedal arm. Is this normal?:

The side that doesn't fit!:
LHS downpipe fouling underside of engine case:

LHS Muffler perpendicular view:
Note the muffler bracket is around 30mm too low (due to header fouling underside of engine case), and around 10mm too far back (due to fouling footrest support).

LHS Muffler view from rear:
The muffler bracket is also 10mm to far outwards due to the footrest.

And finally, this is how she looks now. Tank on, headlamp surround on, oil in engine, etc. Few 'small' challenges to address, then more painting and those darned exhausts...
Last edited by darboots on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:28 am

Beautiful bike; love that color. I like your battery hold-down solution.

I feel your pain. I have a set of super expensive Superhawk mufflers from the UK that have the very same problem - the right side fit "ok", but the left fouled with the bottom of the clutch cover. I was never able to resolve the issue. They now sit on a shelf collecting dust.

I have not yet seen the mufflers like yours that I ordered from Thailand, so I cannot give you solid advice. I know that others on the forum have used them successfully though. I can only hope that they chime in and give you the benefit of their experience. I might suggest that you try an extra copper gasket on the left side downpipe. It would lower the pipe just a bit and position it slightly forward of its present position. Also, it's just a stab in the dark, but I wonder if the mounting tab on the muffler might successfully engage the lower mounting location. It would mean switching the left and right mufflers to get the mounting tabs to the bottom. The downpipes might not be long enough though. Might it be possible for you to borrow a set of Honda downpipes to see if they might help?

Keep us informed on your progress. I'm hoping you find an answer before I have to!

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 am

Seadog; you are a genius!

That worked perfectly. I added an extra copper gasket to the LHS, swapped the mufflers left to right and attached the inverted brackets to the lower exhaust mount. There's a slight difference in height when viewed from the rear, but I'm sure that I'll be able to get those more even through a bit of tweaking. It also just clears the engine lower by about 3mm on the LHS.

I think this should henceforth be known as "The Seadog Solution"! :)

Many thanks....
Darren.
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home