Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 pm

I use your method of adjusting the float level. I did use the top cable adjusters to ensure that the slides bottomed out and were in sync with each other. Maybe I didn't leave enough slack. I know that you said to leave at least 1/8 inch.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Have you looked at the top cable adjuster?
How do you set the float level?. ..............lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:33 pm

There ya go. ...........................lm
Seadog wrote:I use your method of adjusting the float level. I did use the top cable adjusters to ensure that the slides bottomed out and were in sync with each other. Maybe I didn't leave enough slack. I know that you said to leave at least 1/8 inch.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Have you looked at the top cable adjuster?
How do you set the float level?. ..............lm

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:30 pm

I stripped the carbs, cleaned everything again and reset the floats. They seemed a tad high. Using LM's adjustment method, they needed to go down just a bit. Reassembled carefully, synced the slides, and checked the timing, which seemed ok. VERY hard starting. the choke is not helping; got a few backfires through the right carb. When it finally started, it seemed to run ok and I had it idling at about 1k. Adjusting the air mixture screws had almost no effect. I started it again later in the day with the same difficulty. I shut it down after it was fully warmed up and pulled the plugs. They were dry but somewhat dark with carbon (see pic). I believe this indicates too rich a mixture, but idling for so long could do it too.

Tomorrow, I'll raise the needle clips to 3rd from the bottom tomorrow to see if that might help and get me some level of adjustment with the mixture screws.

Here's a video of when I first ran it in the morning:
http://vid1186.photobucket.com/albums/z ... v2hac3.mp4

Here's a later video of it running in the afternoon with the electronic ignition wires running through the stator. http://vid1186.photobucket.com/albums/z ... w4tsbe.mp4
Attachments
IMG_1482 copy.jpg
IMG_1482 copy.jpg (321.7 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Last edited by Seadog on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Remove the tubs you have on the bowl VENT. ..............lm

Seadog wrote:I stripped the carbs, cleaned everything again and reset the floats. They seemed a tad high. Using LM's adjustment method, they needed to go down just a bit. Reassembled carefully, synced the slides, and checked the timing, which seemed ok. VERY hard starting. the choke is not helping; got a few backfires through the right carb. When it finally started, it seemed to run ok and I had it idling at about 1k. Adjusting the air mixture screws had almost no effect. I started it again later in the day with the same difficulty. I shut it down after it was fully warmed up and pulled the plugs. They were dry but somewhat dark with carbon (see pic). I believe this indicates too rich a mixture, but idling for so long could do it too.

Tomorrow, I'll raise the needle clips to 3rd from the bottom tomorrow to see if that might help and get me some level of adjustment with the mixture screws.

I have a couple of videos of the bike running, but Photobucket seems to be having problems loading the first. Here's a later video of it running with the electronic ignition wires running through the stator. http://vid1186.photobucket.com/albums/z ... w4tsbe.mp4

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:14 pm

I'll do that, LM. Will you tell me what that will do?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Allow air to inter the carb as required to balance air in and fuel level. ..............lm

Seadog wrote:I'll do that, LM. Will you tell me what that will do?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Thank you for the tip. I'll remove them and hope it helps.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home