Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks LM and Chase.

LM, I believe that the washer goes against the filter cover, with the pin on the shaft outboard of it. I'm pretty sure that I installed it that way, but I'll know more when I pop off the cover.

Chase, good information. If I recall correctly, the tach cable was the only one I have not replaced because it was new when I bought the bike. I'll disconnect it from the drive end and check that all is correctly done.

I should try to get a recording of the noise before I put the bike away today.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:48 am

You are correct.
That is where it installs. .............lm
Seadog wrote:Thanks LM and Chase.

LM, I believe that the washer goes against the filter cover, with the pin on the shaft outboard of it. I'm pretty sure that I installed it that way, but I'll know more when I pop off the cover.

Chase, good information. If I recall correctly, the tach cable was the only one I have not replaced because it was new when I bought the bike. I'll disconnect it from the drive end and check that all is correctly done.

I should try to get a recording of the noise before I put the bike away today.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks, LM.

I just started the bike up and let it warm up. No noise. I'll take it for another ride soon and see if it comes back when it's hot. It wasn't loud, but definitely there. I'll be prepared to record it if it returns.

tech54K
honda305.com Member

Re: 1964 Super Hawk Repair & Maintenance Log

Post by tech54K » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 am

Seadog wrote:Late last August (2015), I picked up a running '64 Super Hawk in pretty good condition, but in need of minor repairs, replacements and upkeep. I have no intention to fully restore the bike at this time; perhaps after I complete my never ending '64 Dream project. The purpose of this thread to record and document changes, as well as my learning experience.

DONE:

New Heidenau tires (stock sizes) w/new tubes & bands
New rider & passenger peg rubbers
New sealed FGM battery & recharge connector
New OEM battery ground wire
New mirrors
New shift lever & toe rubber
New shift lever pivot bolt & grease fitting
New muffler baffles
New front & rear brake cables
New speedometer cable
New tachometer cable
New throttle cable
New clutch cable
De-rusted gas tank
Rebuilt petcock with new kit
Rebuilt carbs with new kits
New Honda gas line hose clamps
New engine side carb spacer o-rings
New air filters & rubber intake tubes
New side cover rubber bumpers
New points adjusting screw to replace missing one
Converted existing sealed beam headlight to accept H4 bulbs
LED bulbs for headlight, tail light, instrument lights, neutral light and winkers
New CB72/77 Japanese style winkers
New rear winker shock mounting brackets
New winker wiring harness with correct colored wires
Rewired winkers in headlight bucket with correct colored wires & blade style fuse
New lightbulb rubbers for speedometer
New LED winker flasher
New side stand rubber
New painted engine cover to replace non-stock chromed unit
New spare keys (2)
New seat bolts
New frame grab bar
New non-oem winker switch
New rubber boot for wiring harness
New rubber boot for brake switch
Replaced rectifier with new rectifier/voltage regulator. Fabricated bracket.

YET TO DO:

Recover seat
Replace or rebuild rear shocks
Replace dented and poorly welded right muffler
Replace old drive chain
Fix dents in front fender & repaint
Fix dents in left side cover
Paint engine side cases
Electronic ignition
GREAT PROJECT!!

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:56 pm

It has been months since I last posted, but puttering with the CB continues. I've most recently been installing new handlebars and cables, etc., plus freshening up the front end by replacing rusted/pitted//damaged parts and wiring. The last of those parts - new clutch and brake levers - arrived today. I'll soon be taking off the stator side cover to attach the new clutch cable and, while I'm in there, replace the kick start bushing and try to find a small pesky oil weep. When that's all accomplished, I plan to remove the front wheel to determine why the brake shoes return so slowly (and with an annoying creaking sound), even when the brake cable is off and the brake arm manipulated by hand. We shall see. Always something new to learn about.
Attachments
Dec17.jpg
Dec17.jpg (235.38 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Any chance you have a pic of the rear of the bke before you took it apart? ................l

Seadog wrote:It has been months since I last posted, but puttering with the CB continues. I've most recently been installing new handlebars and cables, etc., plus freshening up the front end by replacing rusted/pitted//damaged parts and wiring. The last of those parts - new clutch and brake levers - arrived today. I'll soon be taking off the stator side cover to attach the new clutch cable and, while I'm in there, replace the kick start bushing and try to find a small pesky oil weep. When that's all accomplished, I plan to remove the front wheel to determine why the brake shoes return so slowly (and with an annoying creaking sound), even when the brake cable is off and the brake arm manipulated by hand. We shall see. Always something new to learn about.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Any chance you have a pic of the rear of the bke before you took it apart? ................l
I have many photos taken at various times and at different angles. Can you tell me what you're looking for in particular, then I can try to find a photo of it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home