Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 CB77 Rebirth log

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
larryk
honda305.com Member

1962 CB77 Rebirth log

Post by larryk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:32 pm

As I posted in the introduction thread under Superhawk I have acquired a 1962 CB77 which needs a lot of work. It was last regestered in 1981 and I don't know if it was used off road after that. It has been in a shed since at least 1983.

From time to time I will post progress and pictures.

Here is what it looks like now.

Larry
Amissville, VA
Attachments
pict1959.jpg
pict1960.jpg
pict1961.jpg

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:51 pm

The bike looks very cool the way it is! Are you planning to bring it back into stock ?

Do you know which bike the fuel tank and side covers are from?

larryk
honda305.com Member

Post by larryk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm not sure if I will bring it back to stock or not. I think I will get close.

The tank may be from a Goose but the previous owner and I arn't really sure. The handle bars are not stock and don't really fit the holders, they are to narrow between up sweeps jaming the holders. The wireing as been modified but I should have the factory harness in the box of goodies that came with the bike.

Side covers are any ones guess.

I have just removed the plugs and poured some mmo in the cylinders and turned it over slowly with the kick starter. It Moves, a good sign.

I wish I had micro fiche so I could see how things go together. I do have a factory, clymer (sp) and owners manuals but they leave something to be desired. My local dealer had given me a viewer and the fiche for my CL350 but when I checked with him yesterday I found that they had thrown all the old fiche away. Boy was I bummed.

Larry
Amissville, VA

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:36 pm

Larry,

Looks like a great starting point. I'd do the major engine adjustments and services and fire it up as is before going crazy looking for missing parts. At least you can use it as you figure out what to do with it.

Post a picture of the tank and side covers. They look Italian (and familiar) to me, and if so, are probably valuable.
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

larryk
honda305.com Member

Post by larryk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:00 pm

Matt,
I have 3 running bikes so using this one is not an issue. Also there is a small matter of a title. At the time the bike was registered in Vermont, Vermont was not a title state. The prior owner does not think he has the old reg so that will make it more difficult to title.

My plan would be to clean the carbs, put new plugs in since the old ones are broken and see if I can get it started.

The tank is said to be a Moto Guzzi, correction we think the tank is a Ducati. There are petcocks on each side of the tank.

Also the kick start lever does not look anything like the fiche so I am not sure it is standard either.

The bike was said to have been used to herd cows in Vermont and the person that gave me the bike said he received it in peices. I do know the frame and engine numbers are correct for the Superhawk.

Larry
Amissville, VA
Last edited by larryk on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 pm

Hey Larry,

Try this link.

http://www.crotchrocket.com/fiche_secti ... &fveh=3007

It takes you to a site that might be of some help in the parts diagram department. You can even print them all out if that helps.

I like the tank. Got me thinking how one might look on me CB500 cafe project.

larryk
honda305.com Member

Post by larryk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:36 pm

Today I took a little deeper look at what I have. It looks like the seat and frame have been modified to allow the non stock tank. Also the side covers do not look like any picture I have see of a CB77. The left side opens for a tool area.

Larry
Attachments
Gas tank. Note filler. Twist lock and flip open front. Tank appears tight with surface rust inside.
Gas tank. Note filler. Twist lock and flip open front. Tank appears tight with surface rust inside.
Note the 2 petcocks.  They look original.
Note the 2 petcocks. They look original.
Left side cover. Opens for tool storage. Ignition key has been relocated to rear edge of cover. This cover does not appear to be stock.
Left side cover. Opens for tool storage. Ignition key has been relocated to rear edge of cover. This cover does not appear to be stock.
Note the modified seat mounting brackets. They appear to be extended to allow the non stock tank.
Note the modified seat mounting brackets. They appear to be extended to allow the non stock tank.
Note the kick starter mounting pivot.  It does not match what I see in fiche. <br />Also note the hex head bolts for the cover mount. Any bets on 1/4-20?
Note the kick starter mounting pivot. It does not match what I see in fiche.
Also note the hex head bolts for the cover mount. Any bets on 1/4-20?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home