Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rob's 1967 CL77 + Advice on Chrome Dangers

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
RobCL77
honda305.com Member

Post by RobCL77 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:07 pm

Bob,
Good luck with your restoration. It will probably take a great deal of your time based on what you're striving for but it will be well worth it when it's done. I started my restoration of my 1967 CL77 back in November 2005 and didn't get it finished until August of this year. The main reason for the length of time is the reason I'm responding to your message. I don't know who you're thinking about using for your chrome work but I'd like to share with you (and the others in this forum) who not to use. I sent 105 pieces (mostly nuts, bolts, screws and a few odds & ends) to NU-CHROME RESTORATION in Fall River, MA (not far from where you are) in January 2006 and they told me 6-8 weeks to have it all done. I started calling them 2 months later to check on the status and they told me a couple more weeks. I called every 2 or 3 weeks after that and always got the same answer. I finally got my parts back after 5 MONTHS! That's not the worst part. They "lost" about 15 pieces, some of which were key to just getting it running. When I picked up my lot I had to pay for the whole lot (I had to pay for chroming of 15 pieces that I didn't even have) and that they would pay for the missing pieces when I send them an itemized list. I got the remaining parts from Ohio Cycle and Ed Moore (Thanks Emo) and sent them a bill in mid-August. After numerous phone calls they told me they usually "sweep issues like this under the rug - not a good way to business but that's what we do". Sorry, but that doesn't cut it with me. I continued to hound them and I finally got my check this week after waiting about 10 weeks. STAY AWAY FROM NU-CHROME RESTORATION. Thanks for letting me rant and hopefully your project will go a lot smoother than mine. I'm attaching a picture of my "restored" CL77. I know it's not original colors but I like the looks of it anyway.
Rob

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:28 pm

You are not alone. Unfortunately this can happen with just about ANY plater. We've dealt with several over the years, and it seems to be a common problem with any job when there are a large number of parts. You would be well advised to photograph and document each piece in your lot with description, quantity and part number if available. Send a copy of this manifest with the lot. I've found that it magically causes all the pieces to come back to me.

RobCL77
honda305.com Member

Post by RobCL77 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:25 am

Piecutter,
Thanks for the tip. The chromer did take pictures of my lot broken up in smaller lots but they were black & white and not real clear. OK for the larger pieces but not very effective for the smaller pieces. I was very thorough in identifying each piece as I took it off my bike knowing that it would help me immensely when I went to put it back together. I also laid out all the pieces on a table in 2 groups and put all like pieces together and took 2 digital pictures and printed them on 8/12 x 11 paper to make it easier for the chromer to identify. Believe me, I tried to make it as easy for them as I could. I just couldn't believe their "OH WELL" attitude and just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who may be thinking of using them for their chroming.
Thanks again for your advice,
Rob

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:39 am

Rob, thanks for that good information. It will be a couple of months before I get around to plating. First I have to finish the motor rebuild, and then there are a couple of parts I don't have yet. I sure like the work done on that Dream in Newfoundland, and there is a guy on my Honda V4 board who is reputed to do outstanding work also. I strongly prefer to give the work to someone I know personally. This is the kind of business where relationship is critical.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home