Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The Neverending Tale of a '65 Superhawk Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 pm

Overkill?
More like perfection :) It looks nice. I like the finish.

Gunner

cfloren
honda305.com Member

Post by cfloren » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks Gunner. I was very satisfied with it myself. It took a bit of experimentation to decide on using brass wire brushes, but it was the cheapest way to go - certainly not the fastest!

Steel wire would have damaged the aluminum, and I didn't have a bead blaster at the time. Even now, I probably wouldn't throw a carb into a blaster for fear of getting glass beads lodged in the passages. So I think the brass brushes were a good compromise.

Also I forgot to mention that I used regular white vinegar to dissolve the oxidation inside the bowls. I tried it out on one of the threaded caps from my old carbs, and it worked a little too well. It dissolved the part! This was over the course of a few days. When I did the bowls I kept a close eye on them and rinsed out the vinegar as soon as the oxidation was gone. Another cheap restoration method in the arsenal.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 pm

I have 3 blast cabinets.
One with sharp to remove paint and rust.
One with round for the aluminum parts.
One with round beads fine as flour that I use on the inside of aluminum engine covers and other aluminum frame parts.
I also use it for carb bodies and parts at 40 PSI.
No problems as I make sure the bodies are dry and the beads will not stick plus I blow all passages with 120 PSI pressure.
I once used vinegar but now blast the calcium away after the carb cleaner dip and ultra sonic hot water/soap bath for 2 hours.
And to think at one time I didn't have tools! ...............lm

cfloren wrote:Thanks Gunner. I was very satisfied with it myself. It took a bit of experimentation to decide on using brass wire brushes, but it was the cheapest way to go - certainly not the fastest!

Steel wire would have damaged the aluminum, and I didn't have a bead blaster at the time. Even now, I probably wouldn't throw a carb into a blaster for fear of getting glass beads lodged in the passages. So I think the brass brushes were a good compromise.

Also I forgot to mention that I used regular white vinegar to dissolve the oxidation inside the bowls. I tried it out on one of the threaded caps from my old carbs, and it worked a little too well. It dissolved the part! This was over the course of a few days. When I did the bowls I kept a close eye on them and rinsed out the vinegar as soon as the oxidation was gone. Another cheap restoration method in the arsenal.

cfloren
honda305.com Member

Post by cfloren » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Sounds like you have the hot setup! I used round glass beads on my engine case halves, head and cylinders, and they came out great. Using super fine beads and low pressures for carbs is a good idea; thanks for sharing your experience on this.

I'm still building my tool library, but then again, so is everyone else. There's always a reason for a new tool. I'm sure someday in the distant future when I can consider myself a veteran wrench, I'll look back on my wire brushes and vinegar with a hearty laugh.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have 3 blast cabinets.
One with sharp to remove paint and rust.
One with round for the aluminum parts.
One with round beads fine as flour that I use on the inside of aluminum engine covers and other aluminum frame parts.
I also use it for carb bodies and parts at 40 PSI.
No problems as I make sure the bodies are dry and the beads will not stick plus I blow all passages with 120 PSI pressure.
I once used vinegar but now blast the calcium away after the carb cleaner dip and ultra sonic hot water/soap bath for 2 hours.
And to think at one time I didn't have tools! ...............lm

banksc1970
honda305.com Member

Thanks

Post by banksc1970 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Just wanted to give out a compliment and a thank you to cfloren and LM. I am getting ready to restore my carbs and found your pics to be very helpful. I hadn't thought about working the flange! I have a 74 XL100 that I am has an air leak at the carb that I haven't been able to figure out (mostly due to lack of time). I bet flattening the flange will fix it!

LM, a blast cabinet was the first tool I bought after I got my 305 a couple of weeks ago. I am still trying to find some round abrasive (do you use glass?) here locally as it is expensive to ship. I stole some of my kids sand out of the sand box to play with in the mean time. Seems to work pretty good and it's cheap, too.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Thanks

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:36 pm

I use Glass media and ya can order some from<www.tptools.com>.
I use the middle number media both sharp and round.
The super fine is round also. ..........lm

banksc1970 wrote:Just wanted to give out a compliment and a thank you to cfloren and LM. I am getting ready to restore my carbs and found your pics to be very helpful. I hadn't thought about working the flange! I have a 74 XL100 that I am has an air leak at the carb that I haven't been able to figure out (mostly due to lack of time). I bet flattening the flange will fix it!

LM, a blast cabinet was the first tool I bought after I got my 305 a couple of weeks ago. I am still trying to find some round abrasive (do you use glass?) here locally as it is expensive to ship. I stole some of my kids sand out of the sand box to play with in the mean time. Seems to work pretty good and it's cheap, too.

banksc1970
honda305.com Member

Post by banksc1970 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks LM! I appreciate the good info as usual!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home