Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Questions on basket case CB77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:50 pm

i liked the mock up so i pulled the trigger. its damn close. I may need to trim an inch off the flat and taper it further but we'll see. when i close my eyes, i see a raw tank, lightly rusted then cleared and this seat pan to match. I guess well see what the tank looks like under the paint first. a brushed then cleared look could be cool as well. Also sounds like i'll also be learning upholstery soon.

Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 am

its a live!
i went and bought carb kits b/c the stock square needles had limp springs ( hard to set the float height when the spring cant hold the bowl up) It turns out that the keyster one doesn't seem to work. checked float height but it wouldn't fill the bowl with the keyster one. im really good at buying stuff i dont need.

wish the tail was a little shorter - its just visually a little heavy on the back end weighting. thought about cutting it up but i think im just going to leave it. i cant afford to cut any off the front due to seating position so id need to shorten the tail. im just going to go with it and maybe make one some day - it looks pretty straight forward with a couple hand tools, not even an english wheel.. it didnt help that my mock up was too short. looking at that for two weeks made this one seem even longer.

3.00 tire looking tiny!
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 am

bahh! i dont care much for points.

to be fair, i think its just a case of having the wrong crap.

im over here learning points, simple concept obviously, but they are busting my balls.

when both set to the same gap, i cannot get the timing correct on both cylinders. no matter how i adjust the plate to balance the timing between the two, they are always off by 5+ degrees or so. turns out the points are two different brands. I think ill wait for the new points to show up before i let these ones frustrate me further. perhaps its a case of not cleaning them up well enough, or user error, or the fact that they are different brands, but i have spent too mcuh time on these things already.

Little tough to justify E-IGN when its october... i see its pretty much charlies place plus a reg/rect or the probe engineering one. both about the same total cost $300 but i'll need the reg/rect anyway to run a lithium battery down the road. im just borrowing the dream battery for now. parts add up fast!
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Well that went over like a fart in church. Trust me if it wasn’t such a long lost basket case I’d be restoring the bike. Heres some stuff more relevant to your guys interests. Can anyone provide any info on oddities of this bike?

CL triple tree
CB headlight bucket
CL headlight ears?
CB lowers?

Am I missing a collar here? Item 32? i saw a cb77 at a show this weekend that had no collar there either.
CL carbs – no difference beyond the jets and needles correct? Image

There are only 2, not 3 peg mounting locations. ive never seen that before.

Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:47 pm

one thing solved! ive got an early cluster and a late speedo drive unit... well that explains why they dont work together.
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:57 pm

You have a '65-ish frame and a 67-ish motor........the forks are from a 65 or earlier CL72 or CL77 and the headlight 'ears' don't match the bucket. The fork legs have to match the diameter of the tubes..........which are 35mm for the CL models.

Your wheel hub will not fit those forks without custom spacers.........and you may need the proper triple-tree.

If you want the proper forks with ears and covers..........I may have a set........with tree. I also have a spare front fender, but you need to determine which forks you want..........steel legs or alloy.

That speedo was used on '64 and earlier models (steel legs). If it works its usually worth more than later units that will match your speedo-drive. I have a friend that could use yours. I'm not expert at CB77s, but those peg-mounts could be CP units for police bikes.

If your building a custom..........you may want to source a CB200 complete front end. That would eliminate the tapered upper fork tube and allow you to slide the tubes in the tree and use custom ears. The CB200T came with a mechanical disk-brake on an 18-inch rim.

AlanW
honda305.com Member

questions on basket case cb77

Post by AlanW » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Steve,
It looks like the rear footrest mounts have been cut off, they have a thick edge/flange around them and it appears to be missing at the back of yours.
Al.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home