Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The labor of love (& nostalgia) begins!! 1963 CA77 Dream

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
OldStan
honda305.com Member

The labor of love (& nostalgia) begins!! 1963 CA77 Dream

Post by OldStan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:32 pm

I've had it for 3 weeks now, so it's time to get started. I've been cruising on the forums and already found a wealth of information. I actually started a couple of weeks before I purchased this CA77, it helped me decide to go for it. I had one back in 1967 (yes I'm one of the old farts) and loved it then. I'd been wanting a bike for a while, and when I saw this one I couldn't resist.

I bought it with no title, but adequate paperwork. I've been to the Calif. DMV and had no problem so far. Next week take it to the Highway Patrol for VIN Verification, which shouldn't be a problem. I decided to do this before I sink any more time and money into it.

I've been a heavy equipment mechanic, retired from that and working a less physical job. I brought a 1958 (or thereabouts) Ariel 500 back to life many years ago, and restored a 1965 Lincoln Continental in the early 80"s, which my wife used as a daily driver for about 10 years, so I'm no stranger to a challenge.

Here's the major problems to start with;
1. Oil leaks, mainly from the right side but also from the head, I think a cam cover.
2. Major smoke from the left cylinder
3. fueling problem.
4. Paint and some body work to front and rear fenders. The paint is mostly a poorly done rattle-can job.

The main plus is that almost everything is there. I'm short mirrors and I think a cover for the air cleaner. Also lacking the rubber cushion between the front fender and the front housing. The steering lock assembly is gone, and I'm not sure about the condition of the mounting area.

The PO ( who was a member of this forum) had started the restore process and done some updates, new rectifier, new tires, replace the damage front end, and tried to repair the fuel problem.

On my starting list, I think I have the fuel problem solved. The PO had rebuilt the carb, then replaced it with a later rebuilt carb. He had also put Kreem in the fuel tank. Beware, don't do that while using the fuel cap!!. It was totally plugged, and as far as I can tell that was causing the fueling problem. I fooled with it and got it running good with a loose cap, so I pulled the cap apart and it was really Kreemed! Everything was stuck together, the spring would hardly move it was so packed in there. The hole in the rubber diaphram was plugged (still is, trying not to destroy it) and it was even partially glued to the chrome top. While I have it apart I thought I'd include a picture of it in pieces for anyone's reference.

My current plan is to drop the engine and clean everything up. I haven't decided whether to tackle the engine first or the bodywork. Most likely it will be a combination of the two. I want to get it on the road, but I've been around long enough to know that taking my time usually results in a better product and less problem.

And away we go!!!!!
Attachments
fuel cap in pieces.
fuel cap in pieces.
As it was when I brought it home, looks better than it is.
As it was when I brought it home, looks better than it is.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Good luck on the build. Sounds like your first stop is finding a gasket set for the engine and tearing it down.

As for the kreem, there are a few threads on here about people using acetone or similar to remove it from the tank. POR15 actually makes a tank sealer kit with an extra bottle of stuff made just for removing kreem from tanks.

busaken
honda305.com Member

Post by busaken » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 am

welcome to the forum. post pics as you restore her.
anything is possible if you have the drive blood sweat and tears to get it done!

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks for the welcome. As far as the kreem goes, I'll keep that cleaner in mind. I do have another tank. I think it's cleaner inside than the one he had on there, but I haven't checked it out real good yet. A guy I talked to told me above some stuff to clean the rust out of the tank called Evaporust, that he got at Harbor Freight. Anyone had any experience with it?

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

rust

Post by rustywrench » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Stan,
Evaporust does work pretty darn good IMO and may not even require a sealer depending on the severity of the rust. And you can re-use it for another project. Another process that others have liked is the electro solution process. You can do a search here and find out how it is done and it is cheaper than any other.
Welcome and congrats on your nice find. RW

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the response RW. I should have know to do a search. I'll try to remember to do so in the future. From what I've seen there aren't many subjects that haven't been discussed at one time or another.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:40 am

I'll second the evaporust. Used it on several parts and it worked miracles. Some of them looked brand new again. Not so good on the chrome bits but on the steel stuff it was great. My local autoparts store had it on the shelf.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home