Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:52 pm

G.

No, I'm not worried about the adapter sticking into the spacer. If I were to thru drill for the full thread of the adapter, it would fall a bit short of that - perhaps by 1mm.

The adapters are threaded M5. The inside diameter is about 2mm. It was my intention to drill a 2mm (5/64") thru hole, then a 4.3mm (#19 drill) blind hole to be tapped for the adapter's M5 thread. Perhaps I'm being silly or overly cautious, I'm certainly no expert, but wouldn't it be be better for the flow of air/fuel through the spacer to have just the interruption of a smaller 2mm hole, rather than a 4.3mm recess and the bit of the threaded end of the adapter sticking through it? Or would it, in your opinion, not matter at all?
G-Man wrote:Seadog

Cannot see why your man would need a bottoming tap as he's drilling into an open area. If he doesn't drill into the inlet port you won't get a measurement.

If your worried about the adaptor sticking into the manifold put some washers on it.

G

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 am

My inelegant solution: drill and tap the spacers, install the adapters with thread lock, fill the inside gap with epoxy, let it harden, then drill through the adapters to open a small hole in the epoxy. Not as perfect as I would have liked, but it should work.
Attachments
CarbSpacers.jpg
CarbSpacers.jpg (283.95 KiB) Viewed 970 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Looks plenty good enough to me. Excellent job.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 am

Thank you, G.

Now that the Dream is up and running, my attention has gone back to the Superhawk. I've changed the oil, adjusted valve clearances, installed new plugs, set cam chain tension, cleaned and adjusted the carbs and installed the new carb spacers with new o-rings. It's still a bit hard to start, but I took it for a nice long ride yesterday afternoon and it performed well. Today, after a bit of a warmup, I'll try using those new vacuum ports to sync the carbs.
Attachments
Adapters.jpg
Adapters.jpg (224.58 KiB) Viewed 934 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:46 am

It's been awhile since I've given the Superhawk any attention, so I took advantage of a beautiful day today to give it some exercise. Despite the heavy tourist traffic on the July 4th weekend, I was able to find some fairly quiet, twisty roads to ride. Generally, it performed well and idled ok after warmup, but I see that I have some work to do. The brakes need serious adjustment and I have a new noise coming from the left side - sort of a creak or (don't laugh) a quack. I tried isolating it with a screwdriver to my ear, but couldn't really tell. I'm thinking perhaps the the centrifugal oil filter area, but I wonder - silly as it may sound - if it's the carbs. I couldn't imagine what could be there though. I guess it's time to open up the left side cover and take a look, if only to rule out any problems there. I'd previously removed the filter to clean it, but through the hand port, without taking off the entire cover. Time to check the clutch as well.
Attachments
Cooling off in the shade.
Cooling off in the shade.
IMG_2025 copy.jpg (427.45 KiB) Viewed 908 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 am

Which end of the filter shaft did you put the washer?. ..............lm
Seadog wrote:It's been awhile since I've given the Superhawk any attention, so I took advantage of a beautiful day today to give it some exercise. Despite the heavy tourist traffic on the July 4th weekend, I was able to find some fairly quiet, twisty roads to ride. Generally, it performed well and idled ok after warmup, but I see that I have some work to do. The brakes need serious adjustment and I have a new noise coming from the left side - sort of a creak or (don't laugh) a quack. I tried isolating it with a screwdriver to my ear, but couldn't really tell. I'm thinking perhaps the the centrifugal oil filter area, but I wonder - silly as it may sound - if it's the carbs. I couldn't imagine what could be there though. I guess it's time to open up the left side cover and take a look, if only to rule out any problems there. I'd previously removed the filter to clean it, but through the hand port, without taking off the entire cover. Time to check the clutch as well.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am

Some of the aftermarket tachometer cables will produce unpleasant noises, especially during acceleration. Check that the seal at the tach drive end is installed properly with the flat side of the seal facing toward the tachometer. Also, that the cable does not have excessive radial play where it passes through the nut where it attaches to the drive. Regards, Chase

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home