Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda C92 1964

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Abid
honda305.com Member

Honda C92 1964

Post by Abid » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:37 pm

Hey Guys,

Just picked up this bike on the weekend and was pointed toward this forum for info.

Thought I'd introduce myself here too! As I am a new member of this forum.

My name is Abid and I've been into bikes my whole life, but only purchased my first bike early last year. It was a Yamaha XV250 which I absolutely love.

This weekend I picked up a new horse for the stable. Though considerably older, it has a lot of character and charm about it that drew me in.

I wondered what the stock colors on these things were as I noticed the bike MAY have been repainted at some point (visible runs in some sections and the LHS side cover is a completely different shade of blue). I was told it was a 1964 Honda Benly C92, and I have no reason to doubt this, but just wanted to check and confirm as I want to keep this as close to original as possible.

She isn't running of course (what fun would it be otherwise?) and needs a lot of smaller parts that are missing (namely the damn key haha).

The things I'm most worried about are locating original exhaust and chain guards (upper and lower), but I'm sure I'll find more as I delve in.

Thanks in advance for the help and guidance the members on here will no doubt provide.

Abid
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Abid. Looks like you have a very nice project to do. It's either a C92 or C95. You can find the VIN or actually Serial number on the left side of the bike frame. Easier to see if you remove the left side cover (it will be along the frame edge). Go ahead and post it up here, so we can help you identify the model as well as year of manufacture.

Abid
honda305.com Member

Post by Abid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:49 am

Rizingson wrote:Welcome to the forum Abid. Looks like you have a very nice project to do. It's either a C92 or C95. You can find the VIN or actually Serial number on the left side of the bike frame. Easier to see if you remove the left side cover (it will be along the frame edge). Go ahead and post it up here, so we can help you identify the model as well as year of manufacture.
Mate, I am stumped! I took off the tank, lifted the seat and removed the left hand (chain side) side cover but couldn't find the serial number.... Tried the right side of the bike too but still nothing... I have a suspicion the bike has been repainted though...

Edit:
Just double checked with a flash light and was able to make out the following - C92-10045 on the frame but there may have been another digit at the end. I also found C92E-1004568 on the engine.

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Yes, the numbers were stamped quit lightly, on those models. I'm really confused on the year now, because the numbers you posted indicate a 1961 model, however the tank and rear shock trim are definitely '63 or newer. Mufflers for the older style are flat sided, while the later models are round, but since those aren't in the picture it's anybody's guess.
Here's the chart I was using. You are missing 2 digits of the frame.

Abid
honda305.com Member

Post by Abid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Hmm, I noticed the front fender has been cut and repainted, given how closely this paint matches the rest of the bike I'm sure the whole thing has been repainted and thus I cannot make out the last two digits. The second last almost looks like a 5 or 6 could have been there but the last digit definitely is a no show.

I wonder whether Australian exports were different in any way.. The registration card has no details on year or model so that's no help, but it did say it was last registered 1980.

it may be that someone has restored this in the past with bits from the newer models but then, would the fittings of the 61 vs 64 be the same?

Abid
honda305.com Member

Post by Abid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Here's a link to a 1961 that looks just like mine (not as clean, but the shocks and tank look the same).

http://www.cmsnl.com/community/vehicles ... 48321.html

The seats are different, but that is about it from what I can see!

Maybe mine is a 61 or the attached is actually a 64.

Since I'm here though I wanted to ask, would it hurt the value of the bike to restore it with non-factory colors? I don't mind the blue (assuming that it's factory) but I would love to see this in a cream with brown accents (such as seat and grips).

Abid
honda305.com Member

Post by Abid » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:13 am

And here is a professionally restored Benly being advertised as 1964 - but with engine and frame numbers starting with 100

http://www.motorcyclesunlimited.co.uk/1 ... -for-sale/

Yup, I'm super confused. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the serial numbers anymore hey?

In all seriousness though, it seems the rotary vs return shifter is going to be key to identifying this bike if the above table is accurate. I'm almost certain mine is a return shifter but I've as yet been unable to get it into any gears (partly because the retaining clamp bolt had been snapped off in the lever, so I've drilled it out and will re-tap the hole soon.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home