Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

darboots - 1961 CA77 from boxes

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 am

Ah. I think I understand. This is a 'twist' throttle - where the throttle cable enters the throttle/handlebar clamp and is pulled directly by the throttle tube. I don't have the slot and throttle-hinge type throttle on this bike. Makes life (for me) easier!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:You are bottomed out now.
In the slot in the bars under the throttle tube is a limiter (throttle cable stopper) which fits at the left end of the slot in a groove and that end of the cable fits there. .................lm
darboots wrote:Thanks LM.

Not sure about a limiter in the bars? That's a new one to me.

I managed to shorten the outer sheath, and have now got the following position.
<- picture removed from reply ->

It runs really nicely now, but still needs dynamic timing and fuelling sorting...
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I misunderstood your last reply.
Do you have the correct limiter in the bars?
I have seen 2 designs. .............lm

How bout the area in the top/inside of the slide?. .............lm
darboots wrote:Yes, I've made sure that the cable nipple is fully home into the slide cavity, and the sheath ferrule sits fully into the cable entry on top of the carb.
1961 Honda CA77 Dream Touring
1983 Yamaha RD350 LCII YPVS
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400FEF (ZX14R)

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:31 am

That's correct. The cut away is definately facing to the rear of the bike and air filter.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:You are looking at the open end which is correct. ............lm
bamacl wrote:Unless I'm looking at it wrong, , the slide is in backwards.
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding about the throttle.
Tis good you have it working now. ...............lmf
darboots wrote:Ah. I think I understand. This is a 'twist' throttle - where the throttle cable enters the throttle/handlebar clamp and is pulled directly by the throttle tube. I don't have the slot and throttle-hinge type throttle on this bike. Makes life (for me) easier!
In the slot in the bars under the throttle tube is a limiter (throttle cable stopper) which fits at the left end of the slot in a groove and that end of the cable fits there. .................lm

It runs really nicely now, but still needs dynamic timing and fuelling sorting...

darboots wrote:Yes, I've made sure that the cable nipple is fully home into the slide cavity, and the sheath ferrule sits fully into the cable entry on top of the carb.

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 am

No problem, LM. I'm glad to have your input, and everyone else's during this build! I didn't even know these bikes existed until just under a year ago, so any input is greatly appreciated.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding about the throttle.
Tis good you have it working now. ...............lmf
darboots wrote:Ah. I think I understand. This is a 'twist' throttle - where the throttle cable enters the throttle/handlebar clamp and is pulled directly by the throttle tube. I don't have the slot and throttle-hinge type throttle on this bike. Makes life (for me) easier!

2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am

Moved on to servicing the rear shocks over the last few days. Got some gorgeous rechromed lower covers from a certain Mr. Bill Silver, and a pair of NOS top covers on the way from the U.S.A.

New seals ordered but were the 27.2mm variety so are too large for the Dream shocks. Serves me right for not reading G-Man's disassembly thread to the end where I later find out the Dream shock seals are 26.4mm. I have found some at 26.5mm which I believe may well do the job, but for now, the originals are back in place.
Last edited by darboots on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Sorry about the "fake info" on the seals. Honda used three different seals on CBs, Dreams and CLs. CB160 seals are 27.5 while CB72s are 26.4. You'd think they might have gone for standardisation, but no.

Serves us right for trying to mend this old stuff, I suppose..... :-)

Don't forget to spray a little WD40 on the inside of those shock covers before the rust takes hold........

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:11 pm

No such thing as fake info on that thread, Graham. Just an over eager 'Buy it now' finger on my right hand... ;o)
G-Man wrote:Sorry about the "fake info" on the seals. Honda used three different seals on CBs, Dreams and CLs. CB160 seals are 27.5 while CB72s are 26.4. You'd think they might have gone for standardisation, but no.

Serves us right for trying to mend this old stuff, I suppose..... :-)

Don't forget to spray a little WD40 on the inside of those shock covers before the rust takes hold........

G
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home