Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

UK CB77 restoration, here we go...

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
adeskey
honda305.com Member

Post by adeskey » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:27 am

Thanks, I cut a couple of lengths of 2 inch angle, marked out with the profile copied from the frame, and cut/chain drilled the shape. Blended the corners, removing all burrs and drilling to suit the bolts.

Some fettling to get the correct fit. All in all the sort of thing to get this project off to a good start.
Attachments
cb77 13dec16 003.JPG
cb77 13dec16 003.JPG (183.01 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

adeskey
honda305.com Member

Post by adeskey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:20 am

A couple of days ago I decided to dismantle the engine. It mostly came apart straightforwardly as it transpired that it had been apart before...not sure why yet, that might become apparent later.

Having made an alternator rotor puller from an old fuel injector, (correct thread - M16x1.5) which worked a treat, and overcame the stubborn barrels that liked being attached to the crankcases, I was able to expose the innards which are shown below.

It mostly looked OK, despite having been rebuilt with Red Hermatite or similar. But I am concerned that the gear engagement is not as it should be. Second in particular is marginal on engagement so I will now trawl through this site to understand about offset pins.

Another point of note is the pistons which are 0.05 oversize, and evidence of water being sat in the bores for some time, and seized piston rings means that I am now on the lookout for either 0.75 oversize pistons or a replacement barrel/cylinders.

It looks like I have resized this picture too much...oops. Must try harder.
Attachments
20dec16 012.JPG
20dec16 012.JPG (39.25 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

adeskey
honda305.com Member

Post by adeskey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Here is a better, but not focused, picture of second gear in maximum engagement. Not a lot compared to 1st and 4th which have full engagement.

Am I correct in assuming that by fitting the appropriate offset cotter (I haven't seen one yet) that the engagement on the gears for each pair would just be 'evened up', as the shaft gives a fixed movement due to the grooves? So 4th would lose and 2nd would gain.

Also I measured the endfloat on the selector shaft and selector forks and got around 1.25mm, most of which is play between the selector pin and the shaft groove. The shaft I can shim out, but the rest?
Attachments
21dec16 010.JPG
21dec16 010.JPG (228.16 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Adesky

If you look to the right of your red highlight, on the other side of the gear is a wire circlip. This locates the two cotters, which are either flat, or staggered (offset). They locate in a groove on the shaft and locate the gear. Not sure that you will get a massive amount of extra engagement but the taper on the dogs will pull the gears together when you put torque on.

Part #14 is the cotters.....

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb77-general ... ml#results

As for endfloat on the shafts, you should be able to shim them but the clearance may be due to worn bushes.

G

adeskey wrote:Here is a better, but not focused, picture of second gear in maximum engagement. Not a lot compared to 1st and 4th which have full engagement.

Am I correct in assuming that by fitting the appropriate offset cotter (I haven't seen one yet) that the engagement on the gears for each pair would just be 'evened up', as the shaft gives a fixed movement due to the grooves? So 4th would lose and 2nd would gain.

Also I measured the endfloat on the selector shaft and selector forks and got around 1.25mm, most of which is play between the selector pin and the shaft groove. The shaft I can shim out, but the rest?
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 pm

When checking end float on the main shaft, be sure to have the clutch basket and it's circlip mounted. Regards, Chase (Post #305! Guess I'll retire now.)

adeskey
honda305.com Member

Post by adeskey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks G and Chase, I have now seen the light....

I noticed that the engagement problem also afflicted 3rd, but not as much. I will investigate further.

I am a font of knowledge when it comes to Citroen DS cars, so it is an interesting experience to have the boot on the other foot, so to speak.

I appreciate you help gentlemen.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Now would be a good time to cross 2nd and 3rd gears. ....lm
adeskey wrote:Thanks G and Chase, I have now seen the light....

I noticed that the engagement problem also afflicted 3rd, but not as much. I will investigate further.

I am a font of knowledge when it comes to Citroen DS cars, so it is an interesting experience to have the boot on the other foot, so to speak.

I appreciate you help gentlemen.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home