Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Resurrection of a wreck

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
John Watson
honda305.com Member

Post by John Watson » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am

I've had a few distractions in the last month or so, Geoff, I have done a bit on the build and I have some photos I'll upload shortly.
Appreciate the interest.

John Watson
honda305.com Member

Post by John Watson » Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Right, here goes.
My tatty chain guard continues to improve, still more to do but I'm fairly pleased the way it's gone so far, I do so much, get a bit fed up and move onto something else, and so on.
I find this sort of thing more difficult after retirement than I did when I was working, I guess because there was less time available which kind of concentrated the mind, now, I theoretically have all the time time in the world, something which has not escaped my dear wife's notice so that she seems to find all sorts of stuff to needs doing:

ImageP5206297 by Happy Grandad2010, on Flickr

A couple of months ago, before South Africa, I had purchased a slightly damaged front fender, it had been dropped onto the flare at the back and flattened it out quite severely, it hammered out surprisingly well but when stripping back to bare metal a few weeks ago, I uncovered some more damage forward of the fork mountings which had been skimmed over with a fair amount of body filler. It again hammered out and so a couple of days ago I gave it a coat of primer which showed up some irregularity around the flare, so that's down for more work:

ImageP5206296 by Happy Grandad2010, on Flickr

Last week, I took the engine casings to an establishment with vapour blasting equipment to get them cleaned up, while I was very pleased with the results, I did have to take some time cleaning the remains of the blast media, particularly in the oilways, overall though well worth having them done:

ImageP5156295 by Happy Grandad2010, on Flickr

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed May 23, 2018 3:47 am

Coming on well John, I know professional body guys spray a mist coat (usually black) over a repair so that when they do a final rub down it will high light any high or low points. Looking back at your earlier posts I see you needed a right hand panel, if you still need one I have a useable one, it's been previously chromed which is now pealing off but is otherwise sound.
Hope your son-in-law is recovering well.

John Watson
honda305.com Member

Post by John Watson » Wed May 23, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks for that, Geoff, let me know what you want for the side panel and how you want paid and I'll sort it.

I did use a guide coat on the fender, the issue with it was an irregularity where I had reformed the flare,it showed as a slight distortion which only became apparent when primed and the surface was all the same tone, it would look ten times worse if I was to apply a gloss coat over it.

Adam2
honda305.com Member

Post by Adam2 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Kakimolodtsy all the guys.

John Watson
honda305.com Member

Post by John Watson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 am

A little more progress to report, I've done some more work on the front fender and I'm now quite satisfied with the result.

I've also started rebuilding the motor, the crankshaft and transmission have been checked over, there was a slight delay whilst waiting for a couple of bits from CMS, so today I fitted the internals and rested the bottom crankcase on it all prior to bolting it down probably tomorrow:

ImageP6066299 by Happy Grandad2010, on Flickr

I've also stripped the frame and that has received it's first coat of primer:

ImageP6066300 by Happy Grandad2010, on Flickr

I'm making a list of stuff I'm still short of so if any of our members this side of the pond can help, I would be most grateful.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:56 pm

I've pm'd you John regarding the right hand panel.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home