Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New Cb77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Horn rebuild

Post by GregMcN » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:56 pm

When I checked the horn it did not work so I opened it up to have a look.

Inside the condition looked OK. I had read that the most likely problem was the points so I tried cleaning them in situ but still did not work so I decided I had nothing to loose by dismantling the horn to clean the points. BEWARE! only do this if you have to because reassembly of the points is not easy.
The picture shows one half of the points which you have to try and get back in the part that looks like a bent metal clip on the horn. I had to jam a small nut between the 2 parts so that I could get the screw in to join them together then remove the nut before tightening the screw.

When I did get it back together with cleaned points it worked. A new gasket was made and metalwork repainted. It looks pretty good apart from the rubber seal round the wires which probably seals OK but does not look great.

Greg

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks for this. I have one to service so this will be of help.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Clauss Studios (claussstudios.com) has a horn wire molded rubber for a CB450 that can be trimmed to fit. Lots easier than trying to carve one out of a chunk of rubber. Regards, Chase

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:05 am

Greg

I have a friend in UK who 3D prints the rubber cable grommet. Drop me a message and I'll give you his details.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Neutral switch

Post by GregMcN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Continuing working through the electrical system, the neutral switch has been disassembled, cleaned and repaired. The pin that engages with the gearbox did not want to come out but I could clean it well enough without fully dismantling. The wire was re- soldered and the casing painted and it seemed to be working OK when checked.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:30 am

Next job was the rear light. The gasket had perished so made a new one out of an old inner tube. (I had to modify this with larger holes for the screws to ensure good earthing). The rubber cover where the wires exit the light had also perished but a battery terminal cover was persuaded to fit.

I also had to remove some of the new paint to get a good earth connection between the light, light bracket and mudguard.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:32 am

The starter relay seemed to be in working order so was just cleaned and painted and new cables made up.

The starter switch needed work. There is a little piece of cloth on the bracket shown on the RHS of the picture which insulates the contact wire. This was not in great condition, I tried to reuse it but it did not work so I just replaced with insulating tape and re-soldered the wire.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home