Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New Cb77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:57 pm

I have found the charging problem. I stripped out the stator and although superficially it looked in quite good condition, when I separated the stator from the housing this is what I found.

It had been dismantled previously and they had carelessly trapped all the flying wires so that they were both shorted to the chassis and broken. I would welcome any advice on repair as although I think I can work out which wire is connected to which I am not sure on best way to make reliable joints on thin copper wire and how to replace insulation that is starting to fail on the loose wires.

Greg

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:17 am

Greg

You can get glassfibre insulating sleeve. I would strip back the wires, thread on some sleeve. Re-solder the copper wires together and position the sleeve over the join.

You could use some polyurethane varnish to seal it up.

G
GregMcN wrote:I have found the charging problem. I stripped out the stator and although superficially it looked in quite good condition, when I separated the stator from the housing this is what I found.

It had been dismantled previously and they had carelessly trapped all the flying wires so that they were both shorted to the chassis and broken. I would welcome any advice on repair as although I think I can work out which wire is connected to which I am not sure on best way to make reliable joints on thin copper wire and how to replace insulation that is starting to fail on the loose wires.

Greg
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Re: New Cb77 project

Post by GregMcN » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Alternator has been repaired.

Seems to be working OK, showing about 30V AC combined output with the low output rotor and about 14V DC at the battery after my modern rectifier.

My attempts to test the bike have been thwarted by the weather. At the moment it fires straight away but struggles to run on choke. It idles fine once there is some heat in the engine. On my one and only run to get I thought it had a major oil leak but it was just muck thrown up from the road. It has taken days to get clean again and one major disappointment is that despite using both 2 pack primer/undercoat and topcoat fuel has managed to get under the paint at the fuel tank neck. I have tried some remedial work but may have to repaint the tank at a later date.
Roll on Spring.

Greg

DerekSuperhawk305
honda305.com Member

Post by DerekSuperhawk305 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:52 am

Strange but...I am not able to view the images ion this thread...and I am logging in.
any suggestions??

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Sorry, no idea. I can still see them, does anyone else have a problem?
Greg

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: New Cb77 project images.

Post by DJM » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:04 pm

No problem here, I can see them just fine.

DerekSuperhawk305
honda305.com Member

Post by DerekSuperhawk305 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:09 pm

...ahhh...it must have been the firewall at work !
I can see them at home.
...should be working instead of Superhawk'in LOL.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home