Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New CL77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
GregMcN
honda305.com Member

New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:33 pm

Well I think it is conclusive I must have a Honda 77 addiction as I have just purchased a CL77 to add to my 2 CBs. The bike was purchased on ebay and looked really good in the pictures. It was a runner, had been registered in the UK and even had been put through an MOT. So I committed to buy it, hired a van and drove about 5hrs to pick it up. As is usual the reality was quite different from the pictures, it does start up right away and most of the parts are there but everything does need work. I was tempted to walk away but given the commitment of driving all that way etc I went ahead with the purchase.
My intention had been to just run the bike for a while then restore at a later date but on inspection there were a few things requiring immediate attention. The front brake hardly seemed to be working, forks seemed very soft, air filters totally shot, some of the wiring looks very dodgy and really needs some silencing as currently running totally open pipes. So plenty to keep me occupied while hiding from the virus.
I am still thinking I will try and fix the immediate problems then look to do a full restoration at the end of the year but plans may change. A picture:

Greg

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Re: New CL77 project

Post by Muddy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Still looks and sounds like a great base to start from - besides in these time what else would you be doing :-).

Good luck with it, it will look fantastic.
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks Muddy,
Pictures really do flatter it but as you say it is a good starting point and I will enjoy working on it.
Regards Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:25 pm

First job l have done is to take the forks off and strip the front brake. Quite a lot of rust in the brake so I have just done my best to clean up and adjust and will see how it feels. Initially I thought there was no oil in the forks but it had partially solidified in the bottom and I eventually got it out. The stanchions look reasonable so for the moment I will just change the oil and see how they feel. One of the Gators has split, so I have repaired as best I can as I have not found any new ones yet.
One of the headlamp brackets has been crushed so I tried to straighten but have not been successful so I have ordered a used replacement and now waiting for that to be delivered so I can reassemble the front end.
Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Air filters and link tubes were not useable. Neither seem to be available in the UK so the filters were rebuilt using ram air filter foam and as a temporary measure some radiator hose was used to join to the carbs. I will buy proper tubes in the future.

The replacement headlamp bracket arrived but unfortunately is not exactly the same as the original. Speaking to DJM I think my version (1967) has the fork gaitors which do not use clips and the brackets have a slightly deeper but shallower(vertical) recess for the top of the gaitor. So I had another go at repairing the original and after much hammering it is now about the right shape, not perfect but useable. Oil in the forks has been replaced and front end reassembled. The horn just emitted a grunt but mounting it correctly and adjusting the tone screw brought it back to health.
Greg

ps does anyone know of a source for late model (no clip) gaitors as one is damaged?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Great job on the ar filters!

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks Dennis.

I tried running it today. It starts straight up but mechanically quite noisy and the idle is all over the place, OK for a while but then might die or rev up. I can not find any air leaks so have taken the carbs off to strip and clean.
Greg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home