Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Bill's CB77 Retirement Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Bill's CB77 Retirement Project

Post by deuce_7 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:51 am

ZillahBill wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:00 pm
... Have you ever seen one "restored" and left with the patina?...
This restoration technique works very well with vintage cars and trucks for those who prefer originality. Works for motorcycles too. Like the idea!
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:39 pm

Those front forks put up a fight. Bought a strap wrench.....no good. Just slipped. Soaked with several applications of Deep Creep, heated with a torch, and went after them with a pipe wrench (with a little padding to minimize scratches. They are a little worse for wear now but I finally got them off. Everything is a big challenge. I love it.
Attachments
Forks resized.jpg

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:56 am

I have a lot of respect for "rustorations" and most of my projects are on that level. Patina can be a deep asset and easily lost. I take great delight in having a variety of machinery working well, regardless of the cosmetics. When I can afford it, I buy something in great condition and do my best to maintain it. Otherwise, it's patina and good mechanics for me...

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:44 pm

I heard back from the machinist today and it's not great news. The cylinders were too far gone to be honed and require a rebore. So it's buy a new set of first oversize pistons and off to the races. This bike probably spent decades leaning up against the barn wall. Weathered a lot more on one side than the other but well oxidized all over. Only 13K on the odometer and you wonder why this bike was parked. Of course something in the engine/trans department could come up but the only thing I've really seen is there was no brake lining remaining front or back. No brakes would be a reason for me to park a bike. My question is...would brake lining simply disintegrate over time in a bike left outside like this one? I want to hope this bike was abandoned simply because the brakes were used up and no one ever got around to fixing it. Yes, the red stuff on the paper towel stuffed into carb inlet is MY BLOOD! I'm in too deep to back out now.
Attachments
Motor1.jpg

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:32 am

I've never heard of brake linings melting away during storage, but wearing away from overuse - definitely! IMO, your "why was it parked" hypothesis is sound logic.

Why not try to get the motor running as is, just to see what it does. You could always dive in deeper later on...

--
Michael

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:09 pm

Good advice about not putting the cart before the horse. There are just so many things to do on this project it is hard to hold back. I have ordered the two pistons/rings that I need and I'm waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime I've worked on a couple things and learned some stuff. Took the shocks apart and made a compression tool like I've seen on the forum. In the meantime they seem to be working and perhaps I'll try to rebuild some day. Painted the side steps, cleaned up the brake pedal and reinstalled, sandblasted and painted/reinstalled center stand. Jury is still out on a patina "rustoration" bike. Polished a few aluminum pieces. I have not cracked open the bottom end of this bike. How naive do you think I am being about hoping for the best on restarting this motor without messing with the bottom end? Is there anything I can do to increase success by flushing out the bottom end?
Attachments
Swingarm Bearings.jpg
Step Side 2.jpg
Step Side 1.jpg
Steering Stem1.jpg
Shock1.jpg

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:03 am

ZillahBill wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:09 pm
I have not cracked open the bottom end of this bike. How naive do you think I am being about hoping for the best on restarting this motor without messing with the bottom end? Is there anything I can do to increase success by flushing out the bottom end?
With the cylinder head and cylinder block off and pistons removed, now would be the time to flip the engine over on the stand, remove the under crankcase and inspect the bottom end.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home