Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

67 CL77 in Montana

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
montanamax
honda305.com Member

67 CL77 in Montana

Post by montanamax » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:16 pm

This project started almost 30 years ago, was abandoned and within the last year has come back to life. Ever since I started motorcycling with a CB160, almost 60 years ago, I’ve wanted a CL77. Finally, I bought a non-running 67 CL in the 1990s. Sometime later I acquired another CL which I figured would be good for parts. I started buying all the shiny parts from a Honda shop in Manhattan with the intention of doing a full restoration. Among the things I acquired back in the 90s was a NOS exhaust with integrated muffler. However, it wasn’t until last year, after coming close to selling it all, I decided to go ahead and rediscovered my passion for wrenching.

I’ve visited honda305.com many times through searches for answers to the many questions I had regarding this bike but only today did I discover this forum for people to chronicle their restoration projects. I knew it would be fun and most likely helpful to share my efforts with like minded enthusiasts.

A short recap makes sense as a lot has happened since my first challenge to unseize my two engines. When we moved to our present location, I did not have enough storage for all my bikes so the two CL rolling chassis I had were stored outside as were the two engines. You can imagine what 18 years in the elements did. Thankfully, the humidity in Montana is never very high so the bikes didn’t rust into the ground. However, the two engines were very much seized. I managed to get the one engine that had a good title unstuck after much effort; the other is still seized. However, the second one did yield a good transmission amazingly. Between these two bikes, I figured I had a good start on one complete bike.

Over the past year, I have taken everything apart that could come apart (including the brass plate on the chrome horn cover!) I’ve created spreadsheets listing every part, nut and bolt, listing its condition and planned restoration. I’ve also discovered all the parts I was missing or were too badly damaged and without upsetting domestic tranquility, purchased them slowly from the many vendors I found on line.
My goal is to build a motorcycle that looks like it is brand new. As the frame did not belong to this motor (the title matches the engine case VIN) I’m not worried about a concours level restoration. So I’ll accept stainless substitutions and other things that will look good.
So far, the only restoration work I’ve done is to have the engine and aluminum parts vapor honed and the frame sandblasted and painted (I’m going with silver and black). I also did a through inspection of the transmission and ended up with installing the reverse cotter which I hope will give me decent shifting.

There is clearly a lot of work to do yet. I’m still inventorying all the parts, cleaning them with my HF ultrasonic cleaner and cleaning off the rust with Evaporust prior to final polishing or replating. I’ve got enough good chrome parts that I may just locate replacements for anything that I might have sent out. But there’s enough to be replated that I’ll use some service for that task. My goal is to have all the parts that aren’t being painted ready for reassembly. In the spring, I’ll finish sandblasting frame parts and stripping the paint off the metal work for a final painting.

I will post periodic updates as I make more progress. If I figure out how to post pictures, I'll include them. Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: 67 CL77 in Montana

Post by deuce_7 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:57 am

Montanamax,

You're off to a great start. Looking forward to reading about your progress!
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:34 pm

The posting picture "problem" with this website is that the pictures have to be fairly small (data wise) in order for the website to accept them. I know the pictures from my camera defaults to about 2mb each and this website needs something in the neighborhood of 170kb. No problem, really. You just need to resize the pictures. This is easy in Windows. Just double click on your picture and select RESIZE IMAGE from the three dot selection. Change the width to approx 1150 and this will resize your image small enough to be uploaded into this forum. If you are not using Windows I suggest using Google to find HOW TO RESIZE PICTURES in whatever operating system your are using. I am currently trying to bring a 65 CB77 back to life. It is running but I am still discovering and (hopefully fixing) injuries caused by long neglect and expsosure to the elements. I am shooting for something that is mechanically sound but still shows the impact of the passage of time. Something that no sane person would have ever attempted. I'm in the restoration blog section under Bill's Retirement Project. This site has been very helpful and I would also recommend the Keep on Wrenching group on Facebook. Brian Matson (KOW is his group) has posted a lot videos that have helped me a lot. Good luck.

montanamax
honda305.com Member

Post by montanamax » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:12 pm

Bill, thanks for the tip. I thought I'd seen a limit at around 600K so I'll try again with a small size. I've been reading your posts and enjoying your progress. I'm in the KOW group and also the Honda 250 & 305 SOHC Twins group where Bill Silver often posts. All good stuff. Now stay tuned for pictures (I hope).

montanamax
honda305.com Member

Post by montanamax » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:50 pm

Bill - I downsized my photo to 76K. It's a jpg on photos.google.com. I copy the link and insert it into the img tags and I still get a broken link. What service do you use to store your pictures? Maybe I should use it instead. Thanks.

montanamax
honda305.com Member

Post by montanamax » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:43 pm

I finally figured it out so now I can post some pictures.

This was the starting point:

This is a before shot of many of the parts to be vapor honed:

Here's after the vapor honing:

And this is the frame after sandblasting, primer, painted and clear coated.

The frame turned out a bit glossier than I wanted, but I can live with it. I'll have to wait until spring time to clean, sandblast and paint the rest of the parts that need painting but in the meantime I continue to work with all the bits and pieces that make up a motorcycle.

A question for the forum: Should I be clear coating the aluminum parts for protection? This bike won't see any bad weather and will be stored inside. Thanks.

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:00 pm

Max - I think we're getting closer to seeing your pics but they're not showing up yet, at least for me. I don't use any photo storage site. I take the pics with a Nikon camera, move the SD card to my computer, open the pics in Windows Pictures, and resize them to a size of around 175kb. I just fool with the size until I get the kb size that I know will upload into this site. Maybe your pics are too small? What are you using to take your pictures? If you are like me you are likely to get fuel on right and left covers so painting/clear coating is probably doomed for failure. Maybe after I get this project up and running but for now I'm giving everything a quick polish with Mother's and will save any over the top polishing or clear coating for later.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home