Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Project Dumpster Fire - 1966 Honda 305 Scrambler

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Project Dumpsterfire
honda305.com Member

Project Dumpster Fire - 1966 Honda 305 Scrambler

Post by Project Dumpsterfire » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:02 am

Thanks for letting me join. I just retired and bought a 1966 CL77 to restore. It's going to be a long road but I'm looking forward to riding it. Currently the engine is seized, the exhaust and fenders are wrong, the tank is junk...the usual. It was last registered in 1979.

Also, I'm documenting the whole process on YouTube because I didn't find much there except for dealer videos of already restored bikes.

https://youtu.be/LsZ5Iz_p4Sc?si=HQCmXu5DVn8oOok4

Thanks again for letting me join,

Scott

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Project Dumpster Fire - 1966 Honda 305 Scrambler

Post by Tim Allman » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:29 pm

There's nothing like a project like this to help you realise how many parts there are in a motorcycle. And, yours is missing some!

I'm wrapping up a CB77 which needed a lot of parts and a lot of restoration on the ones that I kept. All the best. I'll watch your progress on (gag) YouTube.

Project Dumpsterfire
honda305.com Member

Post by Project Dumpsterfire » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:32 pm

Thanks! This is my first CL77. Off hand, what do you see missing? (besides the correct exhaust, which I have.) I'm here to learn.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:29 am

I'm not really the person to ask. I know CB72/77 well and, no doubt, know a lot of carry-over information about the CL models. However, I have never worked on one. Hell, I've never even ridden one. The thing is I don't know what I don't know and giving you specific advice on what your CL77 should look like is likely to end badly. I'll jump in on more general questions though.

Have you purchased Bill Silver's guides to these bikes? They are full of information that is hard to find elsewhere. Get the CD. The books are good but the CD has much more information.

Project Dumpsterfire
honda305.com Member

Post by Project Dumpsterfire » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:44 pm

Thanks! I'll do that. Someone on Facebook just told me that they think it's a 67 because of the tail light and chrome fenders.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:56 am

Project Dumpsterfire wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:44 pm
Thanks! I'll do that. Someone on Facebook just told me that they think it's a 67 because of the tail light and chrome fenders.
The CL77 does appear to be a 1967 model. The chrome fenders if original are an indicator the bike is a late 67 model, which continued to sell new into 1968 until Honda's inventory was exhausted. Close up of the registration card indicates it's a 67 model. A center top seam in the gas tank would also confirm it's a 67, as well as the domed tappet covers. This bike represents the era of the "candy Scrambler," when chrome-fendered CL77s were also issued new with candy Blue and candy Burnt Orange paint along with traditional Cloud Silver paint.

You're description is apt; the bike is fairly complete and many of the missing parts can be found Used, Repro or sometimes even New. At least many of the parts even if damaged or worn are still there and gives you an idea of what's required for reassembly. The front fender and front fender brace are bobbed, as was the trend in the 60s and 70s.

Too bad the engine is toast. Probably a starting point in the restoration process. If it's the original engine, the CL77E engine number should be within a couple of hundred digits from the CL77 frame number. (Add 100-200 to the frame number for a correct original engine number). The difference is 181 numbers on my personal 67 CL77.

One thing I noticed is that the round 3-screw alternator cover on the right side is in fairly good shape; uncommon for a bike in this condition. There were several versions of the high-pipe swept exhaust for the 67 CL77; early models had a slip-on muffler, later models had a welded on muffler with an exhaust shield extending all the way to the muffler.

Keep us posted on your progress.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home