Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 (type 1) CB77 Superhawk restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
mtl305
honda305.com Member

1964 (type 1) CB77 Superhawk restoration

Post by mtl305 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Hello and let me introduce myself,

I'm Thomas and I've been lurking on this forum for quite sometime gathering ideas and inspiration to finally tackle a lifelong dream. (I have done a few minor projects but nothing this big)

My father's first motorcycle, his old 1964 Honda CB77 305 Superhawk

My father owned it from 73-77, Bought from a man in pieces (purchased in an apple basket... literally) rebuilt the whole bike and rode it till 77. Re-bored and rebuilt the engine then sold it to his cousin in 77 who rode it home 350miles away and promptly disassembled it. (I think he crashed it but he says no... evidence leans towards a lowside for sure...) His cousin who worked at a honda dealer back in 77 got new pistons, bores, cams, carbs, gaskets and whatnot. He proceeded to get married, have 3 kids and the bike has sat in pieces for 35 years under his pool table,the frame and wheels in the garage.

I now have taken it upon myself to buy back my fathers first motorcycle and restore it... or resto cafe (undecided)

just got back from 600 miles to pick up the "hawk"

Dads jeep loaded up and off we go.

engine on the counter ("Puppy" the ferret)

i know its not big.. but who says size matters????? oh wait.... I do.

GF threatening to withhold sexual favors if the engine does not magically remove itself from kitchen.

This is going to be a long long winter i think.

Today I got the frame stripped of all except the swingarm bolt (it wont come out)
Got all the parts bagged and tagged, next step is to do a pre media blast and powdercoat inventory.

Last edited by mtl305 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Thomas,

You are indeed a lucky man to be able to restore your father's motorcycle. I only wish that I could do the same for my grandfather's machine (left in Europe decades ago).

I am sure you will find all the help you need on this forum. And with respect to your relationship, a quick and caressful (I'm sure I meant to say, 'careful' explanation of the operation of a reciprocating engine should allow you a few more days of work time at the kitchen counter!

Wilf

mtl305
honda305.com Member

Post by mtl305 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks for the support, there will be a great deal of questions.

I hope to give the bike back to my father once it's in tip-top shape. He has worked hard to give me a good childhood and I wasn't the easiest kid. Now being almost 30 and able to enjoy some financial liberty I want to give him back many of the joys he gave up to raise me. (like his old MGB he sold for a washer and dryer and Kawasaki 650 for financial reasons.)

I gave him my 1980 Suzuki gs750et for Father's Day to rekindle his love of 2 wheels.

See my other bike builds and daily ride here: ZRX1200R (eddie lawson rep)

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260751

Mike Mullins
honda305.com Member

re:resto tips

Post by Mike Mullins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:38 am

Thomas: Wonderful project!!! Now a few tips on domestic bliss from a guy who's done this once or twice. The kitchen is "sort of " permissable. Only relatively clean stuff should go there. Grease on any carpet or food preparation surfaces will result in long periods without conversation ( and other sorts of interaction.) ! The sink is permissable to use for non-staining chores. The oven is only to be used when GF is absent, and only for projects that will not leave a lingering odor. Do not leave any parts unattended for any length of time in the kitchen. No parts are to enter the bathing areas under any circumstances. (ie. NO GREASE IN THE TUB !) These rules are universal and are not to be regarded lightly. Any other living areas may be subject to negotiation (good luck). Also, you will lose any sort of confrontation: don't even try.
You have a really great project and hope the GF understands how important this is.
Mike Mullins
Demotte IN
"a free motorcycle is a bottomless hole intended solely for money"
66 CB 77
76 BMW R75/6
99 GL 1500 trike
75 & 79 XS 650's

mtl305
honda305.com Member

Post by mtl305 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:16 pm

anyone got any pointers on getting the swing-arm bolt out (the one with grease nipples on each end). left side nut came off easily enough but the right just turns the whole bugger.. and not easily at that.

thats all thats left to get the frame ready for the powdercoater.

Also, at some point in the past my dad had the chain guard welded on by a blind man with parkinsons.. (or so I like to kid) so there are no tabs or bolt-up points. where can i source a new or new"er" chain guard and if possible some close pics of where i should have new mounting points put.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:13 am

Heat, lube, and pressure. Thread the nut onto the axle, and use a socket or pipe that clears the grease nipple to tap on.

Davo
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

advmaxx
honda305.com Member

Post by advmaxx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 pm

The front mount for the chainguard should be a low, wide u-shaped bracket welded to the top of the swingarm (see first photo). There should be a threaded nut welded to this as a fastening point. This is commonly broken off as a result of vibration. The rear of the chainguard bolts from the inside to a threaded hole in the cast end of the swingarm, just behind the shock mount hole (see second photo, on the far side). It appears in your photo the chainguard has been welded or brazed directly to the swingarm over this hole. If it was brazed, you should be able to reverse this repair fairly easily.

Also inspect the battery cage, where it attaches to the frame. Quite often this too is prone to vibration- related cracks and breakage.
Attachments
CB77 Swingarm4 Sm.JPG
CB77 Swingarm3 Sm.JPG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home