Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Restoring my father's Dream...

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
dgstoehr
honda305.com Member

Restoring my father's Dream...

Post by dgstoehr » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:13 pm

This is the initial post in what will be the restoration of my father's 1964 Honda Dream 305. After I was born the bike mainly sat in our garage covered up; the last plate on it was from 1976. I imagine that Dad had to choose between keeping the Dream running or buying diapers. To say the least, I am grateful for his decision of the latter.

I remember him taking me for a ride on it in the early '80's after a successful attempt to get it running again. I also recall him pushing me home on it because it broke down. What I remember most, like it was yesterday, was that it was like I was riding it by myself... steering and everything. Never mind that my Dad was sweating his rear end off pushing it. He probably was thanking his lucky stars that it was only a 305 and not the CB750 he had later in life!

While I would consider myself pretty handy, I don't have any experience with motorcycle repair or restoration so, this will be quite a journey. I inherited this bike when I lost my Dad in September of 2011. My hope is that if I am successful and I get this bike back on the road I can recapture that feeling of that day. That feeling of freedom on the open road; the feeling that my Dad is right behind me.

YouTube link -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvo-vmym9KA
Attachments
Dad's 1964 Honda Dream 305
Dad's 1964 Honda Dream 305

dgstoehr
honda305.com Member

Mouse in the House!

Post by dgstoehr » Fri May 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Looks like we weren't the only one to enjoy riding on a the Dream!
Attachments
iphone 017.jpg
iphone 018.jpg
iphone 019.jpg

dgstoehr
honda305.com Member

Battery and Tank

Post by dgstoehr » Fri May 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Ordered a battery online and actually found the original on a return trip to Pittsburgh last weekend. Going to investigate having a local company build some innards to fit in the case of the old one.

Got the tank and the seat off and working to clean out the tank, but it really doesn't appear to be in that bad of shape.

Also, got new spark plugs and I'm hoping to hook it all up to try to start so I can get an idea of what needs addressed to make this thing run.
Attachments
iphone 024.jpg
iphone 025.jpg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Battery and Tank

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri May 18, 2012 3:53 pm

If ya talking about the air filter ya can get a perfect AM one from RetroBikes.
$35.00 plus mail. .........lm
dgstoehr wrote:Ordered a battery online and actually found the original on a return trip to Pittsburgh last weekend. Going to investigate having a local company build some innards to fit in the case of the old one.

Got the tank and the seat off and working to clean out the tank, but it really doesn't appear to be in that bad of shape.

Also, got new spark plugs and I'm hoping to hook it all up to try to start so I can get an idea of what needs addressed to make this thing run.

dgstoehr
honda305.com Member

Hooked up the battery...

Post by dgstoehr » Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 am

So I hooked up the battery to see if the wiring harness was in working order and while none of the lights came on I was pleasantly surprised to discover this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGCTS6H8GL0&feature=plcp

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Thu May 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi,

The electrics to make the starter going are very basic and work almost every time when you find a bike sitting for many years. Is there any spark at the plugs ?

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

dgstoehr
honda305.com Member

Post by dgstoehr » Thu May 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Haven't checked for spark yet. What is the best way to do that? I'm open for suggestions on next steps to get this bike to start and run.

Thanks...

jensen wrote:Hi,

The electrics to make the starter going are very basic and work almost every time when you find a bike sitting for many years. Is there any spark at the plugs ?

Jensen

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home