honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Hmmm... ad says '62 Honda Dream but could it be a nightmare?

Have a part and no Part Number? No idea where it's from and where it goes? Post a description and a photo here!
yaskota
honda305.com Member

Hmmm... ad says '62 Honda Dream but could it be a nightmare?

Post by yaskota » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:07 am

aloha-

the ad I saw said 1962 Honda Dream... the owner relayed the background story and VIN to me on the phone adding that it was a 305 & a sport. (Here's the BUT...)

VIN OV77E-1013510

After reviewing postings in this forum and doing my own 'net scrub, something doesn't add up. I am going to go and see the bike either tomorrow (Friday) or sometime over the weekend and will obtain pics and more ID info, but given that the VIN provided starts with "OV" and not something I was expecting, I thought I would post here with the question being:

Could this bike really be a 1962 (or other year) Honda Dream (Sport) as the owner indicates? Or is it something else entirely?

I have tried searching online to verify the VIN, but being a pre-17 character VIN, I haven't experienced any real success.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated; may post additional info if this bike warrants further inquiry beyond what I've already mentioned above.

Mahalo!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Aloha! and good morning from England!

The number you quote could be a combination of illegible numbers and bad telephone line.

i.e. 'O' could be visually mistaken for 'C' and 'V' could be a badly heard 'B'.

Combine that with his assertion that it is a sports model and a CB77 perhaps?

Just guessing.......

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:16 pm

These bikes didn't have a real VIN number. They have an engine number and a frame number. Even when new, the numbers were close to each other, but not the same number (within about 200). It looks like most people use the engine number for a VIN because it is easiest to find. This looks like an engine number because it has an E. You should look at both engine number and frame number. This might give you a clue to what it is.

I have also seen pictures of engines without numbers that were replacement engines. Possibly someone stamped a number on a blank?

Good luck, post some pictures if you get them.

Gunner

yaskota
honda305.com Member

update (with images)

Post by yaskota » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:46 pm

'62 Dream (seller says Sport!), 507 miles CB77:

Well... went and took a looksie (why not, right?)

First off, here's the gist: I don't need anything, but wouldn't mind something. My wish list includes most anything with two wheels (or three, for that matter). At this time, something I can use is more important to me that something I cannot. However, I would consider purchasing a decent project bike IF it wasn't too impossible of a project (in terms of the typical resources: time & $$$) and had a decent payout either in value- intrinsic or otherwise. That said...

Seller asking $2k; no title- am gonna make some calls to establish legality & existence of past title, etc. 507 miles on odo. Needs battery & clutch cable. Seller says bike started a year or two ago, used to belong to family member now deceased and he (seller) has never operated bike (other than to start it). Pics speak for themselves.

$2k? (with no title???) Should this even be a question? Then again, that's why I'm posting here... I'd appreciate any feedback talk-up/talk-down points, feedback on possible value/legitimacy of $2k asking price, model info, etc. (especially when one considers corrosion is a part of life in Hawai'i and bike has been here longer than a minute.)

with aloha,

-tom

ps: and yep, I got leads on a couple other bikes I could actually ride which would make this my first project bike (still single & no kids.... yet ;-)
Attachments
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg

yaskota
honda305.com Member

typo!

Post by yaskota » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 pm

typo!

I'm sorry, meant "CA77" although the engine VIN sure looks like CB77E (plz see image)...

Curious- where is the frame VIN?

mahalo!

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

CA

Post by rustywrench » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 am

Just my opinion for what it's worth, $2000 would be a bit much even considering Island cost difference. Especially since there is no title. Most states are pretty tough about getting a lost title and for me that would be a deal breaker unless we were talking super cheap. If you do have the time to check it out and not too far away; I'd look to see if the Eng is stuck, rubber condition,etc.
That is definitely a CA on the engine and I think you will find the frame # near the left foot peg.
I don't have much experience with the dreams but I see more corrosion and faded paint for that kind of money,,,,,,,,,IMHO. Keep us up to date on what you find though. RW

HopeFarms
honda305.com Member

Imagine my surprise!

Post by HopeFarms » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:29 am

I did an internet search of "CB77E - 1013510" and this forum post came up.

This bike ended up in the southern Piedmont of NC and is currently in our garage. It still has 507 miles on the odometer and when we took possession of it it was in need of, surprise, a battery and a clutch cable. It came with no title.

Mr. Fixit got it running yesterday.

I'm wondering if the OP bought it, or decided against it.....

It's a small world, afterall.
Attachments
IMG_1907a.jpg
IMG_1907a.jpg (229.85 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
IMG_1908a.jpg
IMG_1908a.jpg (246.9 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
IMG_1906a.jpg
IMG_1906a.jpg (351.73 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
IMG_1909a.jpg
IMG_1909a.jpg (396.27 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home