Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Perch Differences?

Have a part and no Part Number? No idea where it's from and where it goes? Post a description and a photo here!
P.Martinez
honda305.com Member

CL77 Perch Differences?

Post by P.Martinez » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:22 am

I am in the process of restoring a 1967 CL77 s/n CL77-1057XXX. Latest problem, there have been a few, is that the bike as purchased came with two different control lever perches, what I'll call "long pivot" & "short pivot" with different levers. On the long pivot version the distance between the center of the control cable threaded hole in the perch and the control lever pivot hole in the perch is approx. 29mm, and the short version measures approx. 27mm. Also, the long version perch has a double-headed chrome stud passing through it for a "hairpin" spring to hold the cable knurled nut in position. Question is: which is the proper perch for my bike? Looking at the parts list it appears that there were two versions of perch on the CL77, and that the hairpin spring was only used on the early bikes. So, I assume that the "long pivot" perch was for the early bikes. Can anyone please verify? Thanks in advance for any help.
Phil M.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Perch Differences?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:58 am

Your bike was issued with the CB77 perch and cable.
The adjuster was in the perch not on the end of the cable.
That cable came on the LAST few the other was used on all CL72 and CL77's up to 1047878.
Have you gathered any parts books or manuals for the CL77.
...................lm

P.Martinez wrote:I am in the process of restoring a 1967 CL77 s/n CL77-1057XXX. Latest problem, there have been a few, is that the bike as purchased came with two different control lever perches, what I'll call "long pivot" & "short pivot" with different levers. On the long pivot version the distance between the center of the control cable threaded hole in the perch and the control lever pivot hole in the perch is approx. 29mm, and the short version measures approx. 27mm. Also, the long version perch has a double-headed chrome stud passing through it for a "hairpin" spring to hold the cable knurled nut in position. Question is: which is the proper perch for my bike? Looking at the parts list it appears that there were two versions of perch on the CL77, and that the hairpin spring was only used on the early bikes. So, I assume that the "long pivot" perch was for the early bikes. Can anyone please verify? Thanks in advance for any help.
Phil M.

P.Martinez
honda305.com Member

Post by P.Martinez » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:21 am

Hi LM, thanks for the fast reply. I have both of Silver's assembly manuals (for frame & engine), and am using the CL77 Honda Parts Catalog HC 36939 2nd edition. Is the CB77 perch the "short pivot" version? Don't know what parts were used on the CB. Thanks for the help.
Phil M.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:31 am

If your parts book was issued before NOV. 1966 it will not show the correct cables and perches and levers for your bike.
I from what you offered suspect you have one of each.
You want the type without the mouse trap wires and cables with out the adjusters on them. ..........lm
P.Martinez wrote:Hi LM, thanks for the fast reply. I have both of Silver's assembly manuals (for frame & engine), and am using the CL77 Honda Parts Catalog HC 36939 2nd edition. Is the CB77 perch the "short pivot" version? Don't know what parts were used on the CB. Thanks for the help.
Phil M.

P.Martinez
honda305.com Member

Post by P.Martinez » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:36 am

Yup, have the 1973 edition. Thanks LM for the help.
Phil M.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home