Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Apex Cycle quality exhaust???? (NOT)

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
4shorts
honda305.com Member

Apex Cycle quality exhaust???? (NOT)

Post by 4shorts » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:33 am

I'm new to this Dream restoration stuff but I'm not new to the restoration scene. As a hobby I restore old gas pumps, Coca Cola machines, fire fighting equipment and many more very unique items some of which have been featured in collectors magazines around North America. In addition to that I've manufactured tools that's been featured on a few web sites and one of them was featured in the Welding, Tool and Fabrication Design magazine out in Cleveland, Ohio. As a business owner I repair and install Goldwing accessories almost on a daily basis and in the ten years I can only think of one time having a quality control issue with one $25 item and the vendor who is in Texas got a perfect replacement right out to me and to date I've spent over $10.000 on his web site. I tell you this so you'll know that although I don't pretend to know everything I know the difference between good quality and bad quality.

When I went to order these exhaust parts for my Dream I contacted Apex and asked for pictures of there exhaust. His reply was " look at them on my web site" They look allot better on his site than the ones I received. Below you will see a number of pictures of a complete exhaust system I received from www.apexcycle.com . You can imagine my surprise when I removed these pipes and mufflers from there boxes. There were pits in the metal. Welding that was done and not completely grinded away and then a very poor chroming was done on them. The ends of the pipes that were cut off by a pipe cutter still had the razors edge on the inside of them that wasn't removed like everyone of us would do after cutting a pipe. The brackets must have been welded on after the chroming process because there's rust by them as you can see in the picture. The header pipes must have been bent in a terrible pipe bender because there kinked and display many dents.

After seeing this quality control issue I contacted Tom at Apex voicing my dislike to his product and knowing It was going to cost me even more money to ship seeing I live in Newfoundland, Canada I told him I would keep them, grind off the poor welding and send them out for rechroming and had asked him to at least credit some of the cost back to me. Here was his reply " the mufflers on my website are the exact mufflers you received...I would hate to tarnish your lovely project with my terrible product. Please send them back for a refund" .

My question is "Who's paying the shipping on all of this? I just want you all to know about this product. You look for yourself. Would you want them on your Dream? I did learn a good lesson here. Never trust a vendor that refuses to give you detailed pictures of there products. Paul

Rusting on the bracket and lots of pitting!
Dents and welding that's not grinded off!
Headers are dented from the bending and chrome is pitted!
You can see all the pits in the muffers here!
This picture shows the extent of the poor workmanship. Looks like it was made out of bits and pieces!

Would you be happy with these on your Dream!!!
Last edited by 4shorts on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

mufflers

Post by joeweir1 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:17 pm

Thanks for posting the picts..The quality really can't bee seen on his web site or on Ebay auctions.He does not mention any dents or rust in his auctions!I think I'll steer clear of them.thanks

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:54 am

The parts look bad enough but the snippy "I would hate to tarnish your lovely project" reply he sent you when you complained is to me the worst part of the situation. That sort of reply is not customer service.

Apex just came off of my list of bookmarked sites.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:11 am

Dogsbd wrote:The parts look bad enough but the snippy "I would hate to tarnish your lovely project" reply he sent you when you complained is to me the worst part of the situation. That sort of reply is not customer service.

Apex just came off of my list of bookmarked sites.

Amen to that statement brother. You took it the exact way I did and my blood boiled when I looked at the response he sent. The poorest of customer service in my opinion! I just hope it saves someone else the heartake it caused me. Appreciate your coment. Paul

Bon
honda305.com Member

Post by Bon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:22 am

Well, I see it wasn't just me. I too ordered mufflers from Apex Cycle and was quite dissapointed in the quality. The welds were poorly done and the chroming was done right over weld spatter or other contamination. I never mounted them. Eventually I received a full refund. I bought several other aftermarket mufflers that either could not be mounted without serious modifications and rechroming and one pair had the wrong inlet diameter. Needless to say I wasted a bit of money trying.

Finally I heard about Bill Silver and a connection he has with a small outfit in Australia that makes repros from stainless steel. After talking with Bill I decided that this was my best bet. Everything has worked out fine! These mufflers are quite similar to the originals and being made from SST they will never rust - never - I like that!

The overall handwork is not as pristine as the original mufflers and the polish is not totaly chrome like but overall I like the mufflers a lot as they seem to acknowledge the age of the bike without overdoing it with perfection. My perspective on a restoration is that a too perfect job is a little like an old lady wearing too much makeup and perfume - just not right. I like the age to respectfully show itself and acknowledge its years IMHO.

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:28 am

Bon wrote:I bought several other aftermarket mufflers that either could not be mounted without serious modifications and rechroming and one pair had the wrong inlet diameter.

Could you fill us in on the details of these other mufflers you tried? I'm planning on aftermarket mufflers for my CA77 and if you've already tried something that I should avoid that would be a big help. Thanks!

Bon
honda305.com Member

Post by Bon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:09 pm

It looks as if the Apex exhaust pipes are not mandrel bent. The original Honda exhaust pipes were. The result is a necked-down pipe at the bend when bending without a mandrel inside of the pipe . This is not what most restorers would want or accept as a replacement exhaust pipe. I think I'd rather have a few dents and rust spots.

I'll be posting a few pictures of two of the aftermarket pipes that I have purchased on eBay (buyer beware) that I couldn't use. Your results may vary.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home