Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

clutch and brake cables

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
joeweir1
honda305.com Member

clutch and brake cables

Post by joeweir1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:56 pm

Has anyone else purchased any of these cables with the two piece end?I have two of the clutch and two brake cables.I have had these on my bike for two riding seasons and now that the third has started the two cables have both pulled out of the end of the soldered ball on the end at the lever.The brake cable happened in the garage, but the clutch cable broke about two miles from home and I limped home.I had another cable with a one piece end that I was able to undo and resolder on my cable.Hope it holds!

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:03 pm

Anyone out there on this one?

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:14 pm

joeweir1 wrote:Anyone out there on this one?
Not me. Where did they come from? Sure need to know who's selling them. Wonder if they could be fixed? Back in the mid 30's - late 60's my Grandfather and my Dad had a motorcycle shop and I remember seeing them repair and also shorten cables. My Grandfather has passed on, but my Dad is still with us even though he'll be 82 this July. I'll try to see what he can remember about how they did it and share the info, if you want? I remember some of the technique but, not sure if it's all or not.

Later on, Bill

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks-All info is helpful.I bought the cables from two different sellers on Ebay.They have "made in Japan" stamped on them.I did actually repair my broken cable.I had an end from another clutch cable that I was able to unsolder and then soldered mine back on that end and has held a few rides so far.I actually shortened my cable too.I purchased the longer ones with the chrome elbow from Ebay and cut the housing short and the cable and resoldered the bottom end back on.The two piece design of my broke cable is a design flaw I guess, since the same style brake cable broke.The OEM cables have a stamped end or molded end I guess you could say that holds better in my opinion.Joe

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:42 am

I had a cable like this. The end did come off after about 1000 miles. It happened after crossing the border back into the US in Sault Ste. Marie. The cable had been binding up a bit and it really needed some lube but just didn't have the chance as we were waiting in line to cross the border. Luckily, it broke about 1 mile after the border crossing. I limped the rest of the way to the campground and replaced it.

I can't remember what I have on my bike now though.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 am

Kevin-I probably had close to 2000 miles or more on my cable and it was not binding.I see there are other cables on Ebay that do not have the chrome elbow and appear to have a molded one piece end on them.A shame these chrome elbow cables do not have the one piece end since they do dress the bike up.Joe

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

cables

Post by joeweir1 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Just thought I'd follow up again on these cables and show the manufacturers label.I have purchased a couple extra of these before they broke.Two different sellers on Ebay have these.They are ok if you just show your bike or do not ride much I believe, but I ride mine alot and now feel I can't trust them.I did repair both, so time will tell.I also decided to melt the end off an old Honda cable since I had a few laying around that were no good and see why they held up better.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home