Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Probe Engineering Electronic Ignition

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
dcarp
honda305.com Member

Probe Engineering Electronic Ignition

Post by dcarp » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:16 pm

I just wanted to add some feedback on Probe Engineering's Electronic Ignition Kit. I purchased the kit about a year and a half ago for my CB77, and finally got it installed on my bike about 3 months ago. The installation was very painless, and the unit performed wonderfully. Unfortunately the unit recently quit on me, and I lost spark to both cylinders. I contacted Mark Whitebook at Probe Engineering, and I could not be more pleased with his assistance and expertise. I sent my unit to him, and he said that my control module was non-functional, and that the likely culprit was the lack of a voltage regulator on the bike. He replaced the old control module with an updated version, and I had the unit back in a couple of days - free of charge! . It is back on the bike, and working great. Like I said, I could not be more pleased with the quality of their products, and their assistance.

[ Editor's Note: Probe Electronic Ignitions are available through honda305.com ...Order Page: http://www.honda305.com/ignition/order.htm ]

On a side note, I also purchased and installed the high output stator kit from Rick's Motorsports because of the fact that it incorporates a solid state rectifier and a voltage regulator. The kit is available for the CB77 through Dennis Kirk's. It has a much higher output, and allows me to run with my headlight on without fear of draining the battery at lower engine speeds. At $215, it is a good deal. Beware, though, that the fitment is not the best. The new stator plate is quite a bit thinner than the original, and so I had to shim it out for correct alignment. Also, the bracket with the timing mark had to be ground down to fit on the new stator. These are details, but should be kept in mind. Altogether a good kit that was (fairly) easy to install.

sotxbill
honda305.com Member

Post by sotxbill » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:59 pm

I installed an Electronic Ignition on my superhawk and was please to find it starts on the first kick when cold. So far it has worked beyond my expectations. Installation turn out to be easy but I'm used to using a timing light. I was a bit worried about gluing on the magnetic wheel, but it ended up centered in the timing window. Both cylinders where checked at full advance. The led on the control box got the timing almost perfect, and the timing light allowed me to bump it a couple degrees for full advance. So the led timing method built into the box was very close, close enough to run fine. I have to give this product a 9 out of 10. The only reason its not a 10 is that I didnt find out about the product a long time ago.
I'm going to replace the plug wires and spark plug caps next. The plug caps contain 5k resistors in them and are needed to make the coils fire at the correct voltage. I will probably eventually replace the coils with 5 ohm dynatek coils when I get a chance. I'm hoping the 35000 volt, 5 ohm dana coils will allow me to open up the spark gap just a bit, to maybe .028, but that will be later on down the road. Now maybe the scrambler next. I have heard that you can get a kit from probe for 350 cc, and even a 160 and 175 cc honda. I'm glad that I dont have to worry about dirty points or timing changes due to points wearing on the cam.

If you dont want to mess with points, and like doing frequent tuneups, this product will make your bike run further between maintanance checks. If your not into working on your bike, this is definately a product for your bike as it will eliminate one of the most troublsome spots on your bike.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home