Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Apex speedometer

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Apex speedometer

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:30 am

I was wondering if anyone could vouch for the quality/longevity of the apex speedometers for CA77 dreams. I searched through old posts, all i could find were a couple stating that they looked good, but niether had accumulated any significant mileage. Last fall I 'spun' the original speedo, needle bouncing everywhere and a wierd whining sound emitting from the speedo. I bought a used unit off of ebay for about $50 with only 6k on the clock. It lasted about 7 miles before doing the same thing the original did. Before i put the newer one on i took out the speedo cable, yanked the inner, cleaned it and lubed it well. I read somewhere that the cable binding then unwinding could cause the speedo malfunction. Am hoping that this isn't the case and a new unit wont fall to the same fate. Any input would be greatly appreciated ! thanks

Matt in PA

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 am

Matt, you may want to consider having one, or both of yours rebuilt. Everyone on this forum has been quite pleased with foreign speedometer repair in San Diego CA. I'd personally go that route.

davomoto

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:37 am

I intend to send them both there, but i'm really hoping to ride in the interim -smile-. I have another ca77 i had bought for parts awhile back that im leaning towards putting together at some point, so an extra on the shelf won't hurt ! my financial advisor (aka wife) has already ok'd the new speedo, but i really dont want to shell out the $$ if it's another poor quality Apex product.

on a side note , i got a nice compliment on my old navy DavoMoto garage shirt when the wife and I were out to dinner last night.

Matt in PA

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Matt, love to hear the comments on the shirt! I personally steer clear of apex cycles. The bike can be ridden without speedo. Patience is a bitch, I ride them with a towel for a seat, and jury rigged evrything when first assembled, 'cause I just can't wait!

davomoto

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:04 pm

sent both my speedos to foreign speedo last week, gunna avoid the apex and ride my s65 until i hear from them. thanks for the advice, i think it swayed me in the right direction!

Matt in PA

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home