Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

PB Blaster and Shock Disassembly

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
Kirk
honda305.com Member

PB Blaster and Shock Disassembly

Post by Kirk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:01 pm

I am pretty new to restoration of motorcycles, but I thought a few of you may not have used either of these products and have found them to be lifesavers. The first is PB Blaster penetrating oil; I spray my fasters down for a few days before even trying to loosen them. I am just taking apart a Superhawk and could almost do it with my hands; the fasteners wouldn’t budge before with a wrench.

http://www.pbblaster.com/products.html

The cheapest place I have found to buy it is Home Depot.

The second is a Progressive shock spring compressor it’s the best $45.00 I have ever spent takes a shock apart in less than 60 seconds. Their was another thread on the board about this between Loud Mouse and Someone else,

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/13181 ... =338726025

I thought a few of you might not know about these thought I would post it.

Thanks,
Kirk
Attachments
08ProgressiveSusShockCompLG.gif
PB-ts_lg.jpg
2-1966 CB77 Projects
1965 CB77 Partsbike
1967 scrambler pile of parts
1972 Cb350

bsanorton
honda305.com Member

Post by bsanorton » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:13 am

PB Blaster is the shyt! Been using it for years. Only thing that freed a stuck pistin ring to the cylinder wall on my BSA 441. Recently used it to free a stuck ignition switch on my 63' CB77. The seller could not free it. Once home, one hour of soaking in PB & it was free!

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:44 am

OK, what's the difference between "PB 50" and "PB Penetrating Catalyst" ??
http://www.pbblaster.com/products.html
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

Post by bikedoctor99 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:16 am

In August '09 a friend generously gave me an original and stock '63 CB77!! Excited because I hadn't been on one since 1970, however there is always a hook in a freebie---this poor bike was stored outside for more than a few decades in north N.J. and was , as you can imagine, very weather beaten (lots of rust and serious corrosion). What was I thinking?
For it's dissection I used Aerokroil, a little pricey but great results-- it freed up the ignition switch, unstuck a seized piston, apparently the intake valve was open (there were mice living in the air filters)-- so you can imagine the corrosion in the barrel. Lots of Aerokroil in both barrels, a good sleep and in the AM coffee, more Kroil, propane torch, hammer + wooden block= done deal!
P.S. prior to the hammer I pried the cylinder up, other piston free and clean: crank & big ends OK- wedged a choice piece if wood under the barrels to dampen the shock and whacked away.
Moral: coffee, Kroil, hammer and block-- essential tools.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home