Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

paint vs powder coating

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
Dream two
honda305.com Member

paint vs powder coating

Post by Dream two » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:14 pm

New on the scene, restoring 1964 dream CA 77 (late I think).
Been perusing the restoration pages and impressed, makes me shy to use the word "restoring."
Anyway I am planning to pwd. coat my frame but apparently this isn't done by the members.
What do we say pwd. coat or paintand why.

thanks in advance

Dream two
LI NY

hotrodhendrix
honda305.com Member

Post by hotrodhendrix » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 am

I powder coated my frame/panel parts. Then all chrome was painted a silver color. As for the powdercoated on an old bike you will run into some issues. Body filler. You will have dings, large scratches and possible some cracks laying under your current paint.

Powdercoat will be 100x harder to remove these. I used JB weld trick which worked but took a decent amount of black coats that I sanded down as a filler layer before the body color. Paint is easier and cheaper if you pay someone else to powder your stuff. On top of that powder on the full frame is difficult. You can tell that the rear fender on mine did not flow as well as the front neck.

Yeah its much harder than paint but on large panels it typically does not come out as smooth as a good wetsanded clear would have. Tube frames powder works out far better. I would probably just paint mine if I did it over as long as I could find the exact same color.

~James

Dream two
honda305.com Member

paint vs powder coating

Post by Dream two » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I found out about the body filler in the mean time and gave up on that idea.

Rudy Dream two

LI NY

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home