Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

POR-15 Fuel tank sealer

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

POR-15 Fuel tank sealer

Post by Geoff Hastings » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:45 am

I used this product to seal and protect the inside of my CA77 fuel tank. I'd de rusted the inside quite successfully and sealed most of the pin holes with solder. The product claims it stops rust and seals tanks and is resistant to ethanol. I followed all the instructions and resisted putting fuel in the tanks for about two weeks. Initially all seemed well but after about a week a small leak appeared. I drained the fuel and checked the area of the leak thinking I'd probably missed an area with the coating. I was dismayed to find the sealer just pealing off! I contacted the seller to see if he could explain what I'd done wrong, he said that he'd had lots of complaints about this product so no longer sold it and as I'd bought it more than 90 days before he couldn't help. I've now got the problem of how do I remove the remainder of this so called sealer. Anyone got any ideas?
Attachments
Picture of the inside of the tank
Picture of the inside of the tank
image.jpeg (194.33 KiB) Viewed 3016 times

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:16 am

Try lacquer thinner. I've used KREEM for many years on many different bikes with no problems at all.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

POR-15 fuel tank sealer

Post by Geoff Hastings » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:37 am

Nick wrote:Try lacquer thinner. I've used KREEM for many years on many different bikes with no problems at all.
Thanks for the reply Nick, I managed to contact the importers and POR-15 also do a stripping chemical. I'll try lacquer thinners as I have some sitting in the garage but if that fails I'll have to pay por-15 more money to remove their product.

Jims65CA77
honda305.com Member

Post by Jims65CA77 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:07 am

I used a paint remover that you get at Home Depot. I would put a LOT of tape around the gas cap area, be very careful when pouring it in... maybe around a pint... and then shake it around, leave it sit for a bit, dump it out, and rinse with water, and then repeat the process... it worked for me.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize at first that you were from the UK. So, Home Depot is probably not an option. However, other "paint removers" should be.
Last edited by Jims65CA77 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Now working/riding on my 1965 CA77 Dream...

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:23 am

The JASCO brand paint & epoxy remover seems to be quite effective. Gloves, eye protection, outdoors, etc. Take all of the precautions that you can. Available at Home Depot here, not sure if the UK DIY stores would have it. Unusual for the POR-15 to have issues, it's one of the best sealers available. Caswell is excellent, but not sure how it does with pinholes. Regards, Chase

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Fuel tank sealer

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:56 pm

cknight wrote:The JASCO brand paint & epoxy remover seems to be quite effective. Gloves, eye protection, outdoors, etc. Take all of the precautions that you can. Available at Home Depot here, not sure if the UK DIY stores would have it. Unusual for the POR-15 to have issues, it's one of the best sealers available. Caswell is excellent, but not sure how it does with pinholes. Regards, Chase
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it would appear that paint stripper will do the job, I'll get some over the weekend and keep you posted on the results.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Re: Fuel tank sealer

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Geoff Hastings wrote:
cknight wrote:The JASCO brand paint & epoxy remover seems to be quite effective. Gloves, eye protection, outdoors, etc. Take all of the precautions that you can. Available at Home Depot here, not sure if the UK DIY stores would have it. Unusual for the POR-15 to have issues, it's one of the best sealers available. Caswell is excellent, but not sure how it does with pinholes. Regards, Chase
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it would appear that paint stripper will do the job, I'll get some over the weekend and keep you posted on the results.
I bought a litre of paint stripper and poured that in having put the tank into a bin liner and taped around the filler cap hole. I sloshed it around every few hours and each time left the tank at a different position. After 24 hrs I poured out the slimey mess and then flushed the tank with a hose. I was surprised just how thick some of the liner was and had trouble pulling it through the filler neck. I removed the bin liner to check that none of the stripper had found its way onto the paint and gave the outside a wash just to be sure. I've now had to leave the tank to dry thoroughly before I attempt to seal it again, I might even solder the tiny leak rather than use another sealant but that would mean I'd have to respray the tank again.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home