Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

'65 sport65

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
bigscooter
honda305.com Member

Post by bigscooter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:57 pm

3BeanCrispy wrote:having a hard time getting this darned thing to run past a little puff puff here n there ... gunna grab sommore plugs tomorrow, think that might be my holdup at this point. cleaned the carb thoroughly, adjusted points gap/timing, adjusted valve clearances. there is spark, but it doesnt seem strong. worse case scenario ... anyone know what sorta compression this little 63cc should have? thanks in advance!
hi 3bean, mine has bad compression, but it still starts and runs. i had a similar problem though.
the points looked really clean, but it was a trick! i ran some fine sandpaper between them, and the spark was then enough to start it. my next door neighbor was a honda dealer mechanic in the 60's. that's where i got the advise to clean the points.

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:27 pm

hey bigscoot, im hoping you can help me out here .... or anyone else who might know
after adjusting everything and replacing the plug the s65 fires on 1 kick, purrs at idle, and sounds strong through the rev range. i strapped a board onto it in place of the seat and put about a half mile on the odometer in the back parking lot at work. I was suprised by the amount of power the little 63cc puts out, and at how many days it takes your ass to recover from riding .4 miles on a 2x6 pine seat ( 4 ).
My kreemed tank is cured now, new petcock in place and fuel lines all run. My problem is, how is the tank held onto the bike ? when i look in the parts book it shows a bolt to go through the tab/rubber ... but what does it thread into? below the hole is the solid mount, with no threads. there's a second hole (quite small) in front of the larger hole, but the paint around it doesnt even seem scarred like there's ever been a bolt in it. I must be missing something here .... is there something on the fron of the seat that goes up under the mount that the back of the tank bolts into ? it would almost seem to me though that with the seat in place you lose access to the bolt head. a friend recommended just drilling and tapping a hole in the mount to accomodate the hole alignment, but i hesitate to do any mod's and ruin the originality.
I unfortunately havent got a factory seat for the bike, am in the middle of fabricating one but don't want to proceed if i need to modify the front mount to accomodate the tank bolt.
I've thrown in a few pictures of the rear tank mount so you can see what i'm referring to. Thanks in advance for any help, hints, or possibilities.

matt
Attachments
close-up with rubber and tank in place
close-up with rubber and tank in place
close-up with rubber in place and tank moved out of place
close-up with rubber in place and tank moved out of place
close-up with rubber and tank moved out of place
close-up with rubber and tank moved out of place

bigscooter
honda305.com Member

Post by bigscooter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:12 am

hey 3bean, glad to hear you have the s-65 running. there is no bolt to hold the tank down. the tank sits down in the rubber, and the seat has a slot in the front that hooks over it, holding it in it's place.
ultimately two bolts in the back end of the seat fasten to the fender, the front of the seat holds the back of the tank down.
does that makes any sense?

sean.

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:24 am

Thanks for the info sean! i guess the parts diagram is misleading when you don't have all the parts that contribute to the situation. So from the parts diagram, what is the location/purpose of #19? does it secure the rubber into place ?
am definately going to have to come up with something alternative if i end up using my homebrew seat. maybe homebrew seat v.2.
thanks again!
Attachments
fuel tank.gif

bigscooter
honda305.com Member

Post by bigscooter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:31 am

that's strange. maybe the first year had a bolt in it. i've only seen two of these first hand, but neither of them had a bolt in the tank. i don't think mine has a hole in the rubber. if you put a bolt in it, it should be a shoulder bolt(like the one in the diagram), or have a spacer/sleeve for the rubber to work correctly.

in mine, instead of fixing the compression problem, i put a 110cc clone engine on it. it bolted right up with no mods, plus it is 12v with cdi ignition. obviously i'm not that concerned with originality :-)

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:46 am

unfortunately the bolt hole leads to nowhere ! maybe the tank is off of a different year than my frame - it didnt come with it.
i am happy to hear your clone bolted right up. i have a 2nd s65 i got for parts that seems complete other than seat tank and engine. i originally planned to use it for parts, but i don't really need any parts from it so hope to throw a clone in it and have a pair of s65's.
going tomorrow to pick up a $100 s90 (i believe) and a $50 scrambler (completely dissassembled in boxes). the addiction continues ...

bigscooter
honda305.com Member

Post by bigscooter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 am

hi again, i just double checked, and my s-65 doesn't even have a hole on the tank tab. your tank and rubber must be from an early, or late model. that's good though, since you might need to bolt it down.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home