Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

A '66 Honda CL160 Rejuvenation

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
Rizingson
honda305.com Member

A '66 Honda CL160 Rejuvenation

Post by Rizingson » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Thought I'd post up another project, even though I can still hear nothing but crickets on the CL175 project I posted a week ago. Maybe this forum is now just lurkers and most members are dead!

As promised, after the CL175 "sloper" restoration I wanted to do my CL160 next because they are very similar bikes and I could stay in the groove, so to speak. I'd purchased a fairly roached out and crusty '66 CL160 that came out of Buffalo NY a couple of years ago. Since I despise any bike painted an unoriginal color (yellow) I put it near the top of my project list for transformation. Just as a warning, anyone trying to restore this model, think seriously before getting involved as parts and prices for the first year, or only "real" 160 scrambler have went through the roof or mostly don't exist. Probably should have started with a better candidate . Anyway parts that shouldn't have been put back on were, due to the need to continue making progress. Parts laying around my shop tend to get lost a couple of days before they are to be installed . Most will be changed out as they hopefully will show up at some point in the future and will be easily enough changed out.

Here's a shot of the old gal before complete tear down.

As I've mentioned before, I like to fire up these old barn finds, to evaluate what hidden problems may be in the engine, so to know what to look for during teardown. Here's a link to the first "fire-up" of this scrambler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7fLz488FRA

The only tear down issue on this one, was the unbelievably stuck swing arm pivot bolt.
After soaking with PB blaster for a couple day with no changes, the swing arm is submerged in Evapo-Rust for a few days. Probably won't get back to it for awhile as other matters are more pressing. Don't have my hopes up with this method either as my evapo rust is about wore out cleaning a couple of nasty tanks plus misc parts, also it's not the best stuff for cutting through any grease to get to the rust. Wish I had a fresher batch but damn that stuff is expensive. A couple gallons may cost more than a whole swing arm assembly

Here it is, the last piece to get off of the frame before media blasting is the swing arm and the right rear set which is on the pivot bolt as well.

Finally, partial success today. Swing arm is saved. Still need to get the right side bushing off the bolt so the right rear set can be removed. Have a new bolt on order, but so far no damage, maybe slight bend in the rear set from the 12 ton press (which wasn't really successful due to the rear set preventing a stable position.) Every time I had almost full pressure on it, and getting ready to use the sledge hammer on top of the the press to shock it, something would pop out of place . So I don't think that the evapo rust worked either. Just had to find the right support and swing a BMFH harder!

Here's the bike after media blasting and painting. Got in a hurry before taking a pic, and already had the swing arm, triple tree, rear sets and center stand on!!

Added one fork (because I lost the last NOS boot in the US and probably the world) and rear wheel with shocks.

Next installed rear fender and taillight assembly. Still looking for that damned boot!

Motor set in place. I know that boot is still around here someplace!

Gave up looking and put aftermarket boots on, had to make progress. Both forks on and ready for front wheel and fender! Also note one crusty rear shock I'm still trying to replace.

Front fender added along with headlight bucket and speedo assembly.

Having the front wheel in place, allows me to finally move it around if needed. Also beginning to put on some of the electrical components. Main harness attached as well as horn and ignition switch.
.....more to come!

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Very interesting. Now that I know you are posting here I will follow the thread. I have more CB160 stuff than anything.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:38 am

Just had time to read the whole thread. I had one heck of a time getting the swing arm pin out of my CB77. They sure go in and out a lot easier when the pin and arm are clean and straight.

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Starting to test electrical components with low amperage charger. Ignition system good as well as taillight. Neutral safety switch wire had break under the insulation also repaired. Carbs and air filters were next on.
Probably mentioned this before, but I put thin cardboard between the points and use low amperage that aids in tracing any wiring issues or components without heating up the coils or melting anything.

More electrical progress with coils and condenser in place.

Finally beginning to look like a CL160!!

Put the seat on temporarily, needs new rivets. Guy on ebay wanted 199.99 for 6 rivets LMAO.

And a few more details left, such as petcock, fuel lines, polishing the oil filter cover etc. Oh! and I'm still looking for a speedometer cable, got sent a couple of wrong types.

And ready for fuel and first fire up! Plus those few hard to find parts. Such as a better front heat shield that doesn't show an attempted repair as well as the correct tank badges. Forgot to mention the skid plate is still being worked on, talk about RARE!

Also wanted to include the original brochure from '66, as that is what I need to stay focused on to make sure everything is done as it was originally!

Will post some more pics with the new badges and heat shield later.......

Jims65CA77
honda305.com Member

Post by Jims65CA77 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:25 pm

I have a very soft spot for the CB160 because it was my first bike I used as a "trail bike". I STILL have it too! (I've restored it back to a "street bike" rider now) Anyway, I remember another guy in the early 70s had a '65 CB160 and his had the side stand like your CL160. Have you ever seen a sidestand on a CB160? I also see the Honda AD has a skidplate... do you have one of those? NICE RESTORATION by the way!! I love it!
Jim

Now working/riding on my 1965 CA77 Dream...

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:26 pm

......to further update.........so a few items have been acquired, and added to the project.
Here I've got her back on the lift to install the skid plate...there were exactly 3 available according to my world wide search. Also removed the oil filter cover for polishing, (after this picture was taken) because it stuck out like a sore thumb.

...as well as removing the Honda replacement metal badges for some NOS plastic tank badges which usually don't withstand many years of exposure to the elements.

So that is where I'm at with it currently. I've called this thread a rejuvenation (a freshening up) rather than a restoration, because I knew that it would still have a few bad spots that need attention. Until I locate a new front heat shield for the muffler that is without dents and pitting etc. I won't be taking it to any shows for sure, but it is much more respectable. I wish hunting for parts was as fun as finding the bikes!

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Jims65CA77 wrote:I have a very soft spot for the CB160 because it was my first bike I used as a "trail bike". I STILL have it too! (I've restored it back to a "street bike" rider now) Anyway, I remember another guy in the early 70s had a '65 CB160 and his had the side stand like your CL160. Have you ever seen a sidestand on a CB160? I also see the Honda AD has a skidplate... do you have one of those? NICE RESTORATION by the way!! I love it!
Jim, I don't have an extra skid plate, good luck, they are very rare. I have 2 CB160's, one has the side stand and the other doesn't. Hadn't really noticed that before. I'll be doing a full restoration on my Black CB160 in the fall of 2016 or first the restoration I do in Spring of '17. It takes typically 2-3 yrs after purchase to get one to the top of my queue list for restoration due to time required to hunt down parts, so once I start, I won't be slowed down waiting on parts.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home