Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

aluminum cleaner

BigDaddy
honda305.com Member

Re: aluminum cleaner

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:18 pm

Just a tip for what it is worth. I blasted my engine with walnut shell, as George said. I pluged up all the exhaust/Carb holes with corks I purched for Home Depot. I then purchased a small pup tent. I used the tent to do all my blasting on the engine, frame and other parts. You can reclaim most of the walnut shell with the tent. I cut a small hole in one corner of the tent in order to pour the media back into my blaster. The engine looks great. Blasting is much better than using chemicals on the engine. Hope this helps.<br /><br />BD

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:42 pm

ya BD i think i might have to go that way. <br /><br />the aluminum mag cleaner did nada. went to the local diesel shop and tried a few test spots with the acid they use. they wondered what the magnesium content was, because it didn't do anything either.<br /><br />calling the sandblast place to see if they ever work with walnut now.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:36 pm

BigDaddy wrote:<br />Just a tip for what it is worth. I blasted my engine with walnut shell, as George said. I pluged up all the exhaust/Carb holes with corks I purched for Home Depot. I then purchased a small pup tent. I used the tent to do all my blasting on the engine, frame and other parts. You can reclaim most of the walnut shell with the tent. I cut a small hole in one corner of the tent in order to pour the media back into my blaster. The engine looks great. Blasting is much better than using chemicals on the engine. Hope this helps.<br /><br />BD<br />
<br /><br />NICE !!<br />That never even crossed my mind.<br />Im still shaking my head at what an easy solution to my blasting problem at home is,once the shop is back up and going I will definitly have to try that one.<br /><br />As for the chemicals if carb cleaner doesnt work nothing will,this is not aluminum were talking here this is some other alloy that changes from bike to bike. I have spent countless hours tweaking the welder when I have to do case/side cover repairs.<br /><br />Thanks again BD !<br /><br />georGe

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home