□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

tachometer cable on cb77

dragonfly888
honda305.com Member

Post by dragonfly888 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:18 am

Just wanted to note that I did, finally, manage to get the Tach Cable off of the bike. I slipped a box-ended wrench over the Tach Cable and it gave me sufficient grip on the nut to get it off.

LOUD MOUSE... I did try calling you and left a message, at the time... but life got in the way and time has really flown by... so, thanks for your offer ! I appreciate your help !

Now I have to diagnose why the Speedo and Tach don't work properly. The Tach Cable looks to be turning okay. Probably need to have the Speedo worked on... maybe lubed or something.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 pm

It has been mentioned that as there are 2 different direction speedo's that if you have the wrong twist cable the speedo doesn't work correctly. ...............lm
dragonfly888 wrote:Just wanted to note that I did, finally, manage to get the Tach Cable off of the bike. I slipped a box-ended wrench over the Tach Cable and it gave me sufficient grip on the nut to get it off.

LOUD MOUSE... I did try calling you and left a message, at the time... but life got in the way and time has really flown by... so, thanks for your offer ! I appreciate your help !

Now I have to diagnose why the Speedo and Tach don't work properly. The Tach Cable looks to be turning okay. Probably need to have the Speedo worked on... maybe lubed or something.

dragonfly888
honda305.com Member

Post by dragonfly888 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks, LM.

I am currently using the Older style Speedo and I do believe that the gear, at the front wheel, is the correct one.

The Speedo works, but it doesn't read correctly. I use my Phone and an App to measure the correct speed, but I really want to Speedo to read correctly !!! the speed reading is off and it varies depending on which gear I am in (sounds strange, huh!). When I am cruising in 3rd gear, on city streets, it seems to be reading in KM/Hr, but it is definitely a MPH unit.

I have a newer version Speedo with the matching gear, so I may try it out soon.

The Tach runs in the same direction no matter which Speedo is used, from what I understand. The Tach seems to work (relatively) okay when the bike is parked and revved in neutral, but when I get on the road, it just starts to spin.

I have been able to obtain a few Speedos, but they are all used. I have tried to replace the one currently on the bike but get mixed results. This is where I will focus when I get the bike out of storage. See if I can find a Speedo that can give me a good reading!!!

Isn't it the case that the lubrication in these older devices may "dry up" and cause problems?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:59 pm

If the cable to the speedo works on one speedo it may not on the other.
Something you may want to try.
I cut a pop can to about 3/4" high. Put non-det oil in it and set the drives in the oil over night.
Remove it then set it on a rag for 1/2 hour.
This has helped a couple of speedo's. .....................lm

dragonfly888 wrote:Thanks, LM.

I am currently using the Older style Speedo and I do believe that the gear, at the front wheel, is the correct one.

The Speedo works, but it doesn't read correctly. I use my Phone and an App to measure the correct speed, but I really want to Speedo to read correctly !!! the speed reading is off and it varies depending on which gear I am in (sounds strange, huh!). When I am cruising in 3rd gear, on city streets, it seems to be reading in KM/Hr, but it is definitely a MPH unit.

I have a newer version Speedo with the matching gear, so I may try it out soon.

The Tach runs in the same direction no matter which Speedo is used, from what I understand. The Tach seems to work (relatively) okay when the bike is parked and revved in neutral, but when I get on the road, it just starts to spin.

I have been able to obtain a few Speedos, but they are all used. I have tried to replace the one currently on the bike but get mixed results. This is where I will focus when I get the bike out of storage. See if I can find a Speedo that can give me a good reading!!!

Isn't it the case that the lubrication in these older devices may "dry up" and cause problems?

dragonfly888
honda305.com Member

Post by dragonfly888 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Interesting... I will try that.

When you say the "drives" do you mean the Speedo gears ?

I have an older Speedo that has damaged glass. I have already removed the back by prying the bezel off.

What kind of lubrication should I use on the cables? Maybe they need it ?!?

Thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Drives on back of unit.
I use white grease on the cables.
The cable for the speedo comes wound in both directions and you must use the correct wind with each speedo. .........lm
dragonfly888 wrote:Interesting... I will try that.

When you say the "drives" do you mean the Speedo gears ?

I have an older Speedo that has damaged glass. I have already removed the back by prying the bezel off.

What kind of lubrication should I use on the cables? Maybe they need it ?!?

Thanks.

dragonfly888
honda305.com Member

Post by dragonfly888 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Great! Thanks for the tips and the info! I will let you know what happens!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home