□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cam chain noise.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:06 pm

It sounds to me as if the ticking noise disappears at higher engine revs but comes back again when the revs die down, or is that my bad gearing.

If so, it could be that not enough oil is getting somewhere at low revs.

My CB77 was just like that on tickover when I first ran the engine but was OK once the oil had got all round the top end after I ran it for a few seconds at higher speed. It was only like that when I first started it up and has been fine ever since, covered 1400 trouble free miles on it since them been OK ever since

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:08 pm

My previous post should have read bad HEARING and not bad GEARING, mistake caused by my bad TYPING!!

honda brian
honda305.com Member

Post by honda brian » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:36 am

Hi, just something from left field. Are the cam sprocket assembly and camshafts from the original engine or have they been changed? As many will know there are two different spline sizes in these engines and the smaller cam splines will go into the large spline sprocket but not lock up correctly. I believe the engine makes a clicking noise when this happens, before the spline on the camshaft breaks. Just ask my mate Ross!
Brian

deafanddiabetic
honda305.com Member

Post by deafanddiabetic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:17 pm

honda brian wrote:Hi, just something from left field. Are the cam sprocket assembly and camshafts from the original engine or have they been changed? As many will know there are two different spline sizes in these engines and the smaller cam splines will go into the large spline sprocket but not lock up correctly. I believe the engine makes a clicking noise when this happens, before the spline on the camshaft breaks. Just ask my mate Ross!
Brian
This is an interesting idea. They are original to the bike, I did not disassemble at all, just enough to remove it from the head to remove the valves. There are few other suggestions in this thread that I'll investigate first but I will keep this in mind.
1964 CA72
1974 BMW R75/6
1969 CL450
1995 Toyota Corolla Wagon (The Hauler)

deafanddiabetic
honda305.com Member

Post by deafanddiabetic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:19 pm

DJM wrote:My previous post should have read bad HEARING and not bad GEARING, mistake caused by my bad TYPING!!
Haha, I type from my phone on here too often. Typos everywhere.

I will keep that in mind about oil level, I've been riding the bike around for a few days and that noise still seems prevalent at my idles at stoplights but it does go away right when it's revved up. Strangest thing.

I wish I could take out my baffles on the mufflers, everything is so loud (not in a good way). I think I could understand the issue better if it wasn't the decibels of an airplane taking off when it's idling.
1964 CA72
1974 BMW R75/6
1969 CL450

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:33 pm

I listened again and I say adjust the valves as you have more than one loose.
Did you flatten the end of the valve stems?
Did you adjust the valves Cold?
When was the last time you checked them? ............................lm

deafanddiabetic wrote:
DJM wrote:My previous post should have read bad HEARING and not bad GEARING, mistake caused by my bad TYPING!!
Haha, I type from my phone on here too often. Typos everywhere.

I will keep that in mind about oil level, I've been riding the bike around for a few days and that noise still seems prevalent at my idles at stoplights but it does go away right when it's revved up. Strangest thing.

I wish I could take out my baffles on the mufflers, everything is so loud (not in a good way). I think I could understand the issue better if it wasn't the decibels of an airplane taking off when it's idling.

deafanddiabetic
honda305.com Member

Post by deafanddiabetic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:13 pm

I checked them yesterday, Ed. Set the rotor at T mark, look for the loose side, both valves were able to move with my fingers but using the feelers I could barely get the.004 under the tip. Then rotate 360 degrees until other side valves are loose and checked them to the same results. Figured that means they're tight and right. I did check them cold though. I'm not sure about flattening, I didn't do that procedure but what should I look for?

Maybe I'm overlooking something super simple with my valve clearances?
1964 CA72
1974 BMW R75/6
1969 CL450

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home