Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

how does oil filter come apart?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: Longevity

Post by DJM » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:53 am

I have an article form Motorcycle News dated 1982 which details a readers long time experiences with a 1962 CB72 which he had owned from new. Used as a daily rider for a twenty mile trip each way to work and back, he had at that point covered a massive 107,000 mils on the bike. As might be expected the engine had needed some work during that period, the principal replacements were as follows.
Five plate clutch replaced with a (second hand) six plate unit at 44,000 miles, a gearbox rebuild (failed kickstart shaft) at 50,000 miles, rebore and pistons at 54,000 miles, crankshaft replaced, (again with second hand unit) at 84,000 miles and that was about all. Front pipes and stainless silencers were all originals as were the camshaft, cam followers and the oil pump and front fork seals all which had never been touched. The bike had lived on an exclusive diet of Castrol GTX, a multigrade when most were still using 'straight' oils. Oil changes had initially been at 1000 mile intervals, later extended to 2,000 between changes, all servicing and repairs had been carried out by the owner.

Based on the above experience I'd say it's extremely unlikely that you'll wear out your Dream, especially as the Dream's lower state of tune means the engine components are less stressed than those of the CB72.

Ride and enjoy, just remember to keep changing the oil, I'd suggest a maximum of 1000 miles between changes and try to avoid too many short journeys, if the bike doesn't get thoroughly warm the silencers are likely to rot through from the inside.

I'm seventy three now and still riding my CB77 and CL77 when I can, realistically I'm not expecting to wear either of them before I have to stop riding, perish the thought!

honda305.com Member

Re: how does oil filter come apart?

Post by 305 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 pm

thank you for that information, i never thought 100,000 miles would be possible. i guess i didn't need to buy that spare motor with 5000 miles after all
when small men begin to cast long shadows it's a sure sign the sun is setting

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Re: how does oil filter come apart?

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:56 pm

A few years ago Mobil did a stunt where they ran a car on a rolling road for a million miles. It took four years and in reality was a bit false as it was at a constant speed without a varying load. But, what it does show is that if the oil is changed regularly, and the engine temp kept constant there is very little wear on the engine. Almost all the wear takes place in that initial10 minutes.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home