Haaa im not quite there yet!!
I like stock...
A few modern mods...
But worst of all are those gawl dang PODS

andyvh1959
honda305.com Member

Re: Is there a list of MUST DO cb77

Post by andyvh1959 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:54 am

My 64 CB77 is stuck tight, likely rusted in place as the previous owner had not stored it properly. So when I pull the engine down I plan to do upgrades to increase the reliability (sure its a Honda, but it IS a 64 Honda), and up the power reasonably. Electronic ignition. Better valve springs. Over bore to 350cc? Bit of carb tuning for easier starting and warm up (typical cold blooded Honda?). My only previous Honda experience are the other Hondas I've owned/own over the years: 74 CB350F, 78 CB750K, 80 CB900 Custom, 83 XL600, and 80 XR200 (not running yet).

My plans for my 64 CB77 are some mild visual changes; low handlebar with a bar end mirror, and Akront polished rims. Goal is to achieve a look like this beauty:
Either Black/Silver or maybe Red/Silver
Either Black/Silver or maybe Red/Silver

masonmart
honda305.com Member

Re: Is there a list of MUST DO cb77

Post by masonmart » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:47 pm

As you lads know, the CB77 was a wonderful bike in its day but it had several design faults that spoiled it and if the motor is out then consideration should be given to doing this work. Easiest and best value mod is of course electronic ignition but not BB on the points location. Once the cams and bearings start to wear it is impossible to set this electronic ignition correctly for both cylinders. Next, the 4 speed ratios were awful, gearbox bearing failures were also common and the bike desperately needed another gear not just X cog swapping. The Nova 5-speed boxes solved the ratio and bearing failure problems but means you lose the kick start. The Nova boxes were once fairly priced but at £2500 now are very pricy but if I were keeping the bike and using it, it'd be the first mod I did. Second is that, as a 4T, the bike was underpowered compared to the 2Ts and large 4Ts that came later, and it is a bit too slow for modern traffic so over boring and fitting CB350 pistons is a good and fairly cheap mod. The bikes suffered from poor charging and a Boyer Bransden power pack solves this so a very good mod especially if you do the 5-speed box and lose the kick start. With the head off it's well worth looking at putting in bigger valves. To do this properly it needs larger carbs too for best power, but do we want that or jut more useable torque. I haven't tested the effects of the valves only or big bore only but together they work really well. One other weakness was the single primary chain with arm tensioner which snatched badly. Nova make duplex sprockets and the Chain Man will do a matching chain, again costs are soaring but a good mod. My modified 77 is/was a much better bike in every respect than my Black Bomber.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home