Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 - tool tray sizes and battery recommendations

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

CA77 - tool tray sizes and battery recommendations

Post by the-chauffeur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:27 am

How do. It's been a while . . .

Finally managed to get the CA77 to fire after a complete stip down/rebuild, and everything's looking promising. Got almost all of the hard-to-find tinware bits from various places, and I'm trying to put the finishing odds and sods together.

During the build, I bought a battery that I was told was a direct replacement for the original - a 12N9-3A for anyone interested. The direct replacement statement was half true - it's the right capacity/power output, but physically, it's too deep/tall. It fits into the battery tray, but the tool tray won't fit over it. Looking at some other batteries on offer, depth (front-to-back) seems to be a significant issue.

I know the original batteries are essentially NLA (something of an understatement) so I'm wondering what my next best option would be - particularly when it comes to fitment. I've seen some ads for lith-ion batteries that are a lot smaller than the originals, but I've no experience with them so don't really know what to expect.

All that being said, I don't know whether my fitment trouble stems from whether or not I've got the right tool tray. The bike didn't come with one, so I sourced one from somewhere (probably down the back of David Silver's filing cabinets) before I knew there were at least two different types. The bike is a '66, so it's a later model. CMS only have an image of the older style tray, and mine doesn't look like the one it their image. Instead, mine has three holes in the top; two slightly elongated circular holes either side of one longer elongated oval.

So I guess my questions are have I got the right tool tray, and what batteries can you all recommend that will not only power the bike but will also fit into the original tray set up?

And if you've stuck around for this long . . . thanks.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 - tool tray sizes and battery recommendations

Post by DJM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am

I think that I've seen some details on this list about a conversion kit which allows the earlier bikes to take the standard CB72/77 size battery in place of the NLA tall thin one. The CB72 battery is what the later CAs use, I think.

Try looking back through some old postings.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 am

I think that I've seen some details on this list about a conversion kit which allows the earlier bikes to take the standard CB72/77 size battery in place of the NLA tall thin one. The CB72 battery is what the later CAs use, I think.

Try looking back through some old postings.

Or Contact thisguy!

You can email me at demarcostaxidermy@ frontier.com or call 304 592-1154. Thanks!

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Hey Dennis

Hope you're well. Thanks - the e-mail address is for Tootie DeMarco, isn't it. That's been listed here and on the 'twins forum a few times, but he seems to have been very quiet recently. I've seen his site and had a look at some of his stuff but all he was really offering was a plastic box for a battery to go in. Admittedly it looks nice, but I don't recall anything about what battery fits in the box.

As for the CB battery you mentioned, that's the type I've got (at least, it is according to Silvers) but as I mentioned, it won't fit with the tool tray. That being the case, it wouldn't fit into the DeMarco set up, either. Wemoto list a different battery that I'm sure I've seen used before, but again, the dimensions aren't what I need.

Silvers do a 6v battery that's a fraction over half the size of the original battery and if it had been a hair narrower, I could have used two in place of the original one. It also really looks the part - I needed one for another project and they've got a very late '60s/early '70s aesthetic quality to them. Shame really.

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Post by danielzink » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:20 pm

I installed one of Tooties battery/adapters.

Just installed it a month or two ago.

Love it. Fits like a dream (ha !)

He's around - do a search for tootie here on the board or email him at: demarcostaxidermy@frontier.com
1964 Dream 305

mosquito
honda305.com Member

Post by mosquito » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:33 pm

I had exactly the same problem with the 64 Dream I recently acquired. I located the original, NOS, made in Japan Wisco JB-2 on Ebay which I'm keeping for old times sake (it's dry so should keep a while). Check out eBay, he might have more. I bought a Shoria Lithium Iron Phosphate battery that is listed for the Dream and I cannot believe how small and light it is! Haven't tried it on the road yet but have high expectations and it fits!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home