Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

power barn.com

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Tonyshawk
honda305.com Member

power barn.com

Post by Tonyshawk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:02 am

Hi, I'm rebuilding a 1969 cb77 or trying to anyway. I ordered an ignition system from power barn, they sent me a 2 wire condenser, on their web site it says to hook up this condenser you -hook it to one side of coil, you hook the points to the other side of coil. I contacted them to see where I hook up wires from wiring harness. Long story short they didn't know. He ended up telling me I had to hook the condenser to the points. This condenser will in no way fit in the points area, can I run four wires out of points area to hook to coil and condenser or is it possible to hook condenser 12 inches from points and still expect it to work? I was told he would send me a diagram showing how it hooks up - I never received it - I told him I had a wiring diagram in the manual I asked was this the diagram he was going to send me? He hung up the phone on me I called back no answer I texted and e-mailed no response. BUYERS BEWARE this is a terrible way to do business on their website they have a blog with no way to respond on it no blogs surprise - surprise. Can anyone give me information on hooking this up. Oh by the way I was told the old style condensers were obsolete but I went to E-bay and low and behold I found new ones but I paid $35 for this ignition system just for the condenser. Boy did I get screwed.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03 am

I'd try to return it.

Tonyshawk
honda305.com Member

Post by Tonyshawk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:19 am

Well first of all before you can return anything you have to have a return label and I can't get a response of any kind from this company. I have tried to contact them and they won't respond, they have their website set up so you can't post anything negative about them or positive if they did things right. They sure were there when I was buying now they're unavailable. I'm not very experienced on computers and don't know how to navigate around their blocks but They sure made it easy to buy. I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to use this condenser on my bike so the money I paid won't be a wasted. Thanks for the response though

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:59 am

There should be a pair of cotton-sleeved wires (it’s a heat-resistant sleeve) that lead from the points’ assemblies to the coils; I think they’re yellow & green (or yellow & blue?). These two connect to their respective coils’ negative terminals, along with the corresponding wires from the condenser set.

The positive studs on each coil receive 12V via a looped black wire (12V IGnition feed from the keyswitch.

Tonyshawk
honda305.com Member

pwer barn

Post by Tonyshawk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 am

Thanks for your response on how to hook up condenser, but since I posted that message I have returned that tune-up kit. I ordered the kit through a friend that has Pay Pal and since I couldn't get a response from power barb he contacted them and they gave him return info and told him to send it and they would make sure there was a refund. At this time I'm waiting for refund. I just want to warn people that some companies are out here for the profit only, I'm sure the items worked , but if they're not able to assist customers with installation they shouldn't be selling the kits to begin with.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Power Barn

Post by DJM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:26 am

Fair comment I think. The problem is that if something is generic, IE it can be used on lots of different bikes it's hard for the seller to be familiar with details of individual machines and the wiring arrangements of CB77 condensers is somewhat unusual.

That said the service you received wasn't good enough. hopefully your refund will come through OK.

Good Luck with the CB77 restoration, keep at it as they are a great bike and very practical as a regular rider even today.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home