Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
I have finally got some running on the bike.
In general it is running pretty well and very enjoyable to ride.
It seems to be pretty oil tight. Running on choke is not too good, it starts up straight away but difficult to keep running until it warms up, once warm it seems fine. The carb floats do stick a bit - I did change the float valves but have not replaced any of the jets.
The gearchange is not great as I have been getting a few false neutrals but I am pretty sure the problem is slack in the linkage rather than the gearbox. I had a spare gear lever which I tried and this has improved things a little but I think the main problem is the splined lever which has quite a lot of slack.
The problem of fuel leaking from the tank filler cap has been improved by spending time trying to flatten/level the filler neck, it is still not perfect but better than it was.
So overall there is still a bit of work to optimise but I am really pleased with the restoration.
A bit more running over the weekend … though some confusion over whether this is allowed under the latest COVID rules. I think it is allowed if I am going out for some exercise, a picnic or shopping but not just riding around which results in no contact with people ???
Bike is running well and seems a lot more stable and less susceptible to crosswinds than my other bike. No idea why though lots of differences, tyres, handlebars, shocks, front forks (old vs new).
There is a bit of an oil weep from the cylinder head gasket area so I guess I can try re-tightening the cylinder head nuts.
Beautiful restoration Greg and good it is running well.
I found on my 64 CB77 that the handling was much improved by fitting new Michelin M45 tyres, rebuilding the forks and replacing the shocks with Hagons. Not sure what the contribution was on each but I suspect the tyres were a big part of the improvement. I am thinking of fitting higher bars like yours to improve the riding position. I have the bars but need the cables to go with them so your post on modifying the cables is useful advice.
With the relaxation in the isolation rules this week, I think you had good reason to be out for some 'exercise'! We are still in stay at home mode in Scotland and now the great weather of the last 8 weeks has gone, C'est la vie.
Thanks mcconnellfrance (sorry do not know your name). Overall I am pretty pleased with the restoration though a bit frustrated that I have similar problems on both bikes … petrol cap leaking and oil weeping around the head. The older bike (1965 and I have owned it longer) actually does have hagons and I certainly replaced the fork seals and changed the oil. The tyres are Dunlops K82s, minimal wear on them as I have only done about 1000miles but they may be quite old as they were on the bike went I bought the project. The profile looks a bit more pointy/triangular than the Heidenaus on the new bike. Anyway hopefully things will keep improving and we will both be able to get out on our bikes and I can work at sorting the remaining problems.